• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recently got a old P4 to start my self off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~~Tito~~

Registered
I coped this from my XDA-Developers post, so bear with me, also, I'm new and I love the forums, glad there is a place like this out there :bday:

"I put this dell dimension 4600 mobo(pulled from the Dimension 4600) in my bigger tower case(Gateway Performance 1500) its specs are as follows:

P4 2.8ghz
521 ram(May be 1.5, or 2gb depends if I can get money)
GeForce 6800 GT OC
40gb HDD(I put in form older tower)

What could I run with that? This is my first computer that I can upgrade around and change things. What do you think it can run?

Also what games can it handle and what games cant it?
"

. . . . Here are some parts I have been looking into
"LOL, here is my wish list from Newegg:

CD/DVD burner - Want
ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready - WANT!!!
PSU 480 W - Need if I get GPU, but I want
1gb (512x2) - Need

Any suggestions? Cheaper and better things? Please give me input, I am gonna try to propose this to my mom. Cheaper = better for me(just not so cheap I compromise a decent gaming computer that can handle some recent games), so I need this info asap.

I don't need a new HDD, since I have a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter on the way for my 60gb hdd on my laptop at my dads, totalling the hdd space I have to 100(plenty for right now lol).
"

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Well your main problem is that processor, the poor thing is going to put a huge bottleneck on anything else you get. Unfortunately the only way to get around that is to basically build an entire new computer. You might just want to save up and try selling what you have now, it will be worth it in the long run.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
It's not as hard as you think to save up money, just keep your hands off of it and let it build up. I'm 16 and I've built two computers with my own money already.

I'm a bit too sleepy to do a proper analysis of your parts there, but from what I can see you'd probably be better off with a 5850 instead of the twin GTS 250s. I'm also not so sure about those seagates, I know some of them have firmware issues but I can't remember which ones, I'd probably stick to a samsung or a WD anyway (stay far away from hitachi, it's like asking to have a harddrive die)

uh, oh, and 8gb is too much ram. Not going to use all of it etc etc.... gah I'm going to bed, please have a more alert member give you a proper response. :(

OP
~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~

Registered
It's not as hard as you think to save up money, just keep your hands off of it and let it build up.QUOTE]

LOL, I cant save up to around a thousand it would take me about a year :shrug:. If I had a job id save up like 4-5 paychecks wich would be like 2 months(= job over the summer, or when I get into the home schooling program) or something then I would be able to but, since I have no job, well I cant do that.

Back on my P4(you can do an overview on my "Wish Rig", but I want to know what i can do to make this tower I have last for a while.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I don't think that I would upgrade what you have. The upgrades will cost $$ you don't have and will NOT get you into any better games. 2 GB RAM on an XP rig is best in my opinion but other than that, don't spend any more on it.

deed

It's not as hard as you think to save up money, just keep your hands off of it and let it build up.QUOTE]

LOL, I cant save up to around a thousand it would take me about a year :shrug:. If I had a job id save up like 4-5 paychecks wich would be like 2 months(= job over the summer, or when I get into the home schooling program) or something then I would be able to but, since I have no job, well I cant do that.

Back on my P4(you can do an overview on my "Wish Rig", but I want to know what i can do to make this tower I have last for a while.

I have 3 kids living with me currently under 16 that work :)

I say just use it for basicy applications besides upgrading ram theres not much you can do without a bottleneck from the cpu and the newer cpus that you can actualy get with that system arent all that great either.

You could play games like half life on low but not sure of much else

Old Thrashbarg

You may want to read this.

The problems with those were mostly with the power supplies, although I think some of the boards were affected by the bad capacitor issue as well, that's not as common. But he's avoiding the power supply issue by not using the Dell power supply.

As far as the parts go... May as well go ahead and get the DVD drive and power supply, since those can easily be reused in another system down the line.

I'd personally keep the 6800GT, since it'll still hold its own in games (at least the ones that would run on an old P4 anyway), and that'll make for $80 you can save towards some newer parts later.

The RAM... well... I don't really see it as a bad investment to spend the $35 for a 1GB kit. I mean, upgrading the RAM keep the machine usable as a backup/internet browsing system even after you upgrade to a newer main system.

OP
~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~

Registered
How come my moms old HP Pavillion zv5000, P4 laptop, with 1gb ram, 3.0ghz P4 processor and a ATI intergrated Mobility Raedon 900 IGP graphics solution run many many steam games(CS:S source, HL2, ect) at 40fps(low settings, med settings like 30 fps, and high like 20)? Wouldn't this card be better?

The problems with those were mostly with the power supplies, although I think some of the boards were affected by the bad capacitor issue as well, that's not as common. But he's avoiding the power supply issue by not using the Dell power supply.

As far as the parts go... May as well go ahead and get the DVD drive and power supply, since those can easily be reused in another system down the line.

I'd personally keep the 6800GT, since it'll still hold its own in games (at least the ones that would run on an old P4 anyway), and that'll make for $80 you can save towards some newer parts later.

The RAM... well... I don't really see it as a bad investment to spend the $35 for a 1GB kit. I mean, upgrading the RAM keep the machine usable as a backup/internet browsing system even after you upgrade to a newer main system.

Cool, so no upgrade on the GPU, is what you would think is a good choice? I don't know what sata looks like but would it be better, since my board has 2 sata ports.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
How come my moms old HP Pavillion zv5000, P4 laptop, with 1gb ram, 3.0ghz P4 processor and a ATI intergrated Mobility Raedon 900 IGP graphics solution run many many steam games(CS:S source, HL2, ect) at 40fps(low settings, med settings like 30 fps, and high like 20)? Wouldn't this card be better?

Cool, so no upgrade on the GPU, is what you would think is a good choice? I don't know what sata looks like but would it be better, since my board has 2 sata ports.

slightly more awake now, CS:S and HL2 were new 5 years ago, by steam games most of us were probably thinking L4D and TF2. The 6800 in there should run those old ones fine, and again any upgrades on that computer are basically going to be a waste.

Old Thrashbarg

Cool, so no upgrade on the GPU, is what you would think is a good choice?

The thing about upgrading the GPU is that you're limited on choices, and you won't be able to use the card in a newer system, so it's pretty much money down the drain.

Think about it this way: $80 will get you a halfway decent motherboard/CPU combo at Frys if you watch the sale flyers, so the money you save by just sticking with your old video card puts you well on your way to being able to afford a new system.

Upgrading hard drives, power supply, optical drives and that sort of stuff is fine, since that can all be transferred over to a newer system. The RAM couldn't be transferred, but it's an inexpensive enough upgrade that it's still worth it, IMO.

OP
~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~

Registered
LOL, I get you guys< I thought you guys meant the steam games I regularly play :p.

I saw this on Newegg, I want input on that mobo and processor(Its funny that the combo comes with the same card, any info on it?):
Combo
CD/DVD Burner
Power Supply

Is that decent? I want something that can play some 09' games on low, would that cut it? I might use the same Gateway tower I would just put the dell mobo back in its own tower lol.

Bobnova

The setup you posted above will run anything up to ~2006 decently, and some newer games at low res/settings.
Older then 2004 it'll run quite well.

IMO you should save up ~$300-400 and buy a whole new lump though.
The absolute cheapest lump you can put together (which will still stomp a P4 system by a large margin) is thusly:

Asus M4A785-M mobo + AMD Sempron 140, $95 combo.
2gb of cheap (but good brand) ram, $42 w/shipping. $8 more buys 5-5-5-12 timings instead of 6-6-6-18.
Seasonic 300w PSU, $38 While it's cheap and rated at 300w, it'll do 24a (288w) of 12v, which is plenty for this setup even with a better CPU and a decent GPU (A Phenom II dual core and a 5750 should be fine on it). Plus Seasonic is an excellent manufacturer.

That comes to $1863 shipped with cali-tax.

It assumes using your old case, old optical drive, and old hard drive, as well as old monitor and keyboard/mouse.

OP
~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~

Registered
Last edited:

Brutal-Force

I can only concur with all the above posters.

The only upgrade that I would recommend on that old P4 is the ram up to 3gb.

God forbid any of those components die, you will be digging behind some computer shops garbage bin.

Continue to use what you have now, no upgrades and start doing some car washing/news paper delivering/lawn mowing. Twenty dollars a week adds up pretty fast.

vgta88

Im gonna try to be brief

bobnova your setup, you must be sleepy too cuz you added an extra 6 out of no where. its 183. pretty cheap.

400 to 500 will get you a decent not really overclockable (power, motherboard tdp+fsb, and cpu core design limits) system. 300 will get you pretty basic stuff.

Edit: people have got that 58 dollar cpu from 2.8g to 3.4g with the stock cooler so you might be fine unless you got intel.
but all listed setups and price ranges will get you playing half life 2 engine games just fine.

if i remember correctly (iirc) 4670 is decent (uses around 60-70 watts) and borderline overkill for hl2 games with just decently low performance in new games.(on newegg its about $70)

the cpu mobo combo seems decent enough but not for me I'd prefer quad for better multitask performance.

you really don't need the video card since the onboard video is decent but low performing on new titles. that money would be better spent on a better power supply or better processor.

I'd suggest the vx450 over what you are thinking for a psu since corsair has a better reputation and their psu's are generally good, tested, and our members can vouch for them. it's only 5 dollars more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=vx450

450 let alone 650 is too much for your system but lacking if you want to upgrade to some killer setup. it's up to you if you are going to let this system be or reuse the power supply for an upgrade build. (stock quad core 2.66-3 ghz systems with 4gbs of ram and a high end dual gpu chiped cards use around 450 so that's not leaving much room)

i'd estimate power usage as cpu uses 65 watts(12v), motherboard+ram+depends on onboard video use 50w(12v) and gpu(12v) if you get it 70w+ hdd15w(12v) fan(12v) 3 watts usb and keyboards+mouse(5v) 2 watts=205w

I'd be more concerned with a quality psu since any psu can supply that much power. corsair = seasonic so that 300 watter bobnova posted might be good but it sounds like a more value budget product so it might not be as high quality.

you should probably drop that video card and harddrive if you don't need it and a non oem cpu comes with a cooler but non oem cpus cost a bit more usually in the 10% range.(that 10%~ is less than the $34 that they are ripping you off for the cooler)

funny, my corsair psu looks exactly like the APEVIA ATX-JV650W??

if you have doubts or questions we cannot answer then read reviews for each part you want to get to get a better idea.

Last edited:
OP
~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~

Registered
Continure here, since this old tower is of no interest to you guys as temporary solution to upgrade(other than ram, thats usually a given for most pc's) :cry:.