• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a 80mm fan for my SLK-800U

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyfoid

Ok, I just upgraded from the Thermalright SK6+ to the SLK 800U and am currently using an Enermax adjustable speed 80mm fan that I had sitting in my spare parts box. I am sure this isn't the best fan for my situation so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mark Larson

Disabled
I use the Enermax on my SK-7 and am happy with it.

t1211.gif

OP
T

Tyfoid

Here's my stats:

Tbred 1700 0312/DLT3C @ 200 x 11.5 = 2300mhz @ 50 degs
Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0
1 x 512mb Geil PC 3200 (in slot 1)
ATI Radeon 8500 64mb

The fan is running @ about 3200 RPM

Do you all think it would lower my temp with a faster fan?

Edited part:

I should have said that the above temp is at full load.

Last edited:

OrionRU

1700+xp @ 2100 ( stock voltage) running at 36°C full load

Thats with SLK 900 and TT smartfan 2 @ 3k RPM ( nearly silent compared to my other case fans)

ThePyro

Registered
Tyfoid said:
Here's my stats:

Tbred 1700 0312/DLT3C @ 200 x 11.5 = 2300mhz @ 50 degs
Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0
1 x 512mb Geil PC 3200 (in slot 1)
ATI Radeon 8500 64mb

The fan is running @ about 3200 RPM

Do you all think it would lower my temp with a faster fan?

Edited part:

I should have said that the above temp is at full load.

It would definitly lower your temp. More air flowing through your heatsink means more heat disspated. Of course, it will also generate more noise, but that's the tradeoff.

Last edited:

arnoldma

get a 92mm fan, IMO i wouldnt get a 80mm fan when u can get 92mm, because it pushes out more CFM and lower NOISE level.

N

nerdlogic

Hold on there...You're going to have to consider the fact that even though the noise level is lower, the static pressure is lower as well.
For example, if you have 2 fans, say an 80mm and a 92mm, and they both have the same airflow rating (75CFM for example), then the 80mm will perform better because it will push the air harder than the 92mm.

The Vantec 92mm Tornado runs 119 CFM at 56dBA. That is loud...I know because I have one. I would have to say if you want a balance between noise and performance, the Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 is a good way to do it with [email protected] I am considering changing to that myself if I can't get my temps any lower. I am starting my shroud project today, so I'm going to see how that goes before switching.

arnoldma

oh i didnt know that the air pushed would be less hard with a 92mm, but still, if u wanna lower noise lvl, the 92mm is the way to go.

because it can push alot more cfm at less the noise lvl.

N

nerdlogic

Yes it can push more CFM at a lower noise level, but what's really important is the static air pressure. You can have a 92mm pushing 80CFM with the same noise level as an 80mm pushing 50CFM (example, I don't know exact values here), where the air pressure might be the same as well. It all depends on how much airflow/noise level balance you want.

sanford1

nerdlogic said:
Yes it can push more CFM at a lower noise level, but what's really important is the static air pressure. You can have a 92mm pushing 80CFM with the same noise level as an 80mm pushing 50CFM (example, I don't know exact values here), where the air pressure might be the same as well. It all depends on how much airflow/noise level balance you want.

All thats true, but to get back to the original post, I have an Enermax adj 80mm on my heatsink maxed out , but I also have one on the side window blowing directly on the CPU fan. It's cranked down a lot, but for me it's the key to low CPU temps. Cool , outside the case air works best.

OP
T

Tyfoid

actually I just found a very good article on 80mm fans over at amdmb.com and my very fan is in the top 5 so I will keep it...

As for the your idea sanford1, I am currently waiting on my new case and I will be doing just that... placing one in the case, but I will be going one step further and making a cheap plastic duct to go from the case side to the fan on the heatsink. I figure that should help tons...

sanford1

Tyfoid said:
actually I just found a very good article on 80mm fans over at amdmb.com and my very fan is in the top 5 so I will keep it...

As for the your idea sanford1, I am currently waiting on my new case and I will be doing just that... placing one in the case, but I will be going one step further and making a cheap plastic duct to go from the case side to the fan on the heatsink. I figure that should help tons...

I was going to do that too, but the fan alone was cheaper.
http://www.directron.com/uc8fab.html

Plus I now have positive airflow on the CPU fan. I was going to use some clear acrylic-plexiglass tubing for a passive duct, but then I came to my senses. This works better and it's cheaper. Once you get the cold air blowing on the CPU fan , you're most of the way there. A continuous duct might get you some coupling efficiency but it's more work, and after a while, liquid cooling makes more sense.