• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a Wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drenader

Alright christmas is rolling around and we have three computers in my house. I have been greedy and only my computer has DSL right now while everyone else has to go through the burden of dial up. I am in the market for a wireless router being that one of my computers is located on a different floor than the other, an di dont htink running wires through the living room would match the decor of christmas. I was looking at routers but was unsure which one to get. I was looking at the linksys wireless G router and its usb wireless connection, and the D-link extreme G router and its usb connection. Only one computer would be wireless and the other two will be wired with some cat 5.

Ok experts which one do you recommend out of those two, or maybe even a completly differnt item i didn't look at yet.

Thank you in advance

Dre

Bobby

Netgear WGR614.

It has SPI firewall and all the other features found in other router/switches. They're fairly cheap now and I've had mine for about 6 months. I have a desktop connected wirelessly with a Linksys 11g PCI adapter. I couldn't find a Netgear PCI card when I was setting it up so I bought a Linksys.

I would recommend a PCI card over a USB adapter. USB adapters aren't as reliable as the PCI cards.

I've setup Linksys and DLink wireless routers and they're all pretty easy to setup. Linksys was bought by Cisco a few months ago but Cisco isn't touching that business unit (Linksys). Netgear was bought out by Nortel (who bought out Bay Networks) but a few years ago, Netgear bought themselves back and went back to being a privately held company. They have great technology and one of the reasons I went with a Netgear wireless router (the SPI didn't hurt ;) )

-Bobby

Edit: Newegg has the WGR614 for $80 shipped and a $20 mail-in rebate. I think I paid $95 after rebate for mine.

OP
drenader

drenader

BTW: i was looking at a max cost of about $180 with all cat 5 and pci/usb cards included.

Dre

Bobby

Networking 3 computers with $180 budget is very doable.

Do the 2 computers being hardwired already have a NIC (Network Interface Card)? That will be about $20 ea for a NIC.

The USB or PCI adapter will run about $60-$75 for 802.11g (54mb/s) and a few bucks less for 802.11b. Is the computer being attached to the network wirelessly doing more than internet stuff? (ie:file sharing between computers) If not, you should just get a 11b card and save a few bucks.

The router should come with a ethernet cable, same with the cards (not wireless ones).

Let me know if you need more advice.

-Bobby

OP
drenader

drenader

I was looking at the G versions since it was the "new" thing and it boasts some impressive speeds. Yeah the $180 is with one nic card since my computer already has one. Dont the G routers have a farther range? OR are they not worth the say $20 or so extra?

Bobby

I would recommend the 802.11g for your access point (router) but for the adapter card, if you're not file sharing between computers, it's a bit of an overkill. But then again, you have $180 to spend on a router and 1 card so a 11g card would be fine.

Range is dependent on many variables. Within the same environment, 11b will have better range than 11g in practice but not by much. Try to keep water (aquariums) and paper (books) out of the line of sight from the AP to the client. They absorb the signal and drastically reduce range.

-Bobby