• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend an OS for my server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BSK21

Registered
Hi

Apart from Linux, which OS is best for Server? Win2K? WinXP? Win2003 ?WinNT?

Currently running WinXP with Celeron 1.1 + 256RAM + 80GWD8MBCache

anyone here tried Windows2003 Server edition? will give a go if its good :)

thank you

|the sys admin|

Registered
Personally, if I were serving files or web, I would probably use either Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2003 Standard Server.

Either of those would work flawlessly ;).

bafbrian

Go with Win2003 Standard Server.

I read somewhere that this OS speeds up over time. So the longer the uptime, the faster your server will be.

JDXNC

I've been running 2k3 server for a little while now and I like it, I found it much easier to configure than 2000 server. I'm only running it on a K6-2 450 @ 600 with 128MB or ram and its actually quite peppy.

OP
B

BSK21

Registered
FlypSyde said:
First of all, what are you building a server for? Also, WinXP isn't really a server OS.

# Backup
# Firewall
# Network sharing (10/100LAN & WLAN)
# Network Drive
# Printer Server
# Mail Server - possible with Windows?

anything else ? please advice :eek: i am a newbie

Legend911

LOL

hehe I am rebuilding my server too and I think I am going to be running Windows 2003 server Enterprise edition. I also have another unused pc that I plan to put Linux Mandrake on and use ofr folding I plan to use this for learing Linux a little bit and Folding for Team 32. Hope your server goes well. Plus use a lot of ram if you are going to be using 2003 server it is optimized to use a lot of ram to run stable. Haven't heard about it becoming better with time but that would be cool. :D :D :D

OP
B

BSK21

Registered
Re: LOL

Legend911 said:
hehe I am rebuilding my server too and I think I am going to be running Windows 2003 server Enterprise edition. I also have another unused pc that I plan to put Linux Mandrake on and use ofr folding I plan to use this for learing Linux a little bit and Folding for Team 32. Hope your server goes well. Plus use a lot of ram if you are going to be using 2003 server it is optimized to use a lot of ram to run stable. Haven't heard about it becoming better with time but that would be cool. :D :D :D

:)
i used to have RadHat as my server but due to the complexity of commands + troubling with all kinds of operation(to me:eek:) i decided to run WinXP which is more familiar

Linux is surely much better + stable

by the way, why Win2003 Enterprise? what about Win2003 Server?

FlypSyde

# Backup
# Firewall
# Network sharing (10/100LAN & WLAN)
# Network Drive
# Printer Server
# Mail Server - possible with Windows

You can do all of that with either Linux or Windows. I suggest Linux if you're already familiar with it or willing to learn, but Windows would probably be the easier way to go. As far as which Windows server OS, I'd go with 2000 Advanced Server. It's been around a while and you'll find lots of support for it. I'm sure a lot of people have 2003 Server running perfectly fine but it is still new and definitely less mature than 2000. You're more likely to run into software and hardware incompatibilities. I'd stay away from NT4 too, 2000 is far better.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
to do all that you mentioned, all you need is a win2k pro or winxp pro machine. why spend a grand on a server os that you won't even utilize? if you want, go out and get a server os, but don't blame me if you never use any of the server features :p

if i was going to recommend any server os, i would say win2k server. advanced server is way too much, windows 2003 server is way too much as well.

personally, i would go buy myself some new computer parts with the $700 - $800 i would save by getting win2k pro or winxp pro...

of course this all also depends on the amount of traffic this server is going to be receiving at once. win2k pro and winxp pro can only handle 10 connections for their web service. (then again, you could always run apache)

Legend911

Almost too much

It is a good thing I work at the helpdesk at my school and am a Computer Science Major. Both the student computer science majors and Helpdesk employees can get free copies of 2003 server Enterprise Edition. I love my job!!!!:D :D :D

OP
B

BSK21

Registered
Hi all

I am back again :eek:

I am just about to install Win2003 (i am slow :p) and i am wondering is there anyone having problem with the drivers for any hardware?

All i mostly care about is my wireless card (D-LINK DWL-650)

Since W2K SP4 is out there few days ago.... which OS should i go for? (W2K shouldn't have any problem with the driver;) )

thank you all