• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation cooling for AMD 3700x & 3900x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Ok so my friend is upgrading to an AMD 3900x and Asus B550-F. He is passing his AMD 3700x with Stock Wrath Prism Cooler & B450-F to me for cheap.

I am skipping the Stock cooler and using my Scythe Fuma 2 on the AMD 3700x which has equivalent 65watt TDP as my current old 1st Gen 1600, should be sufficient right?

Now the tricky part is finding a good Air Cooled CPU Cooler for the 3900x which I see runs HOT! I don't think its a good idea running it with the AMD Stock Wrath Prism cooler and he doesn't wanna do water cooling. Maybe get him a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO, Thermalright pa120, or hmm maybe set him up with a Scythe Fuma 2 like mine. I know there are better like Noctua NH-D15 and be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, but he is not Overclocking or anything. What do you think? Haha I can actually give him my Fuma 2 and buy a better one, since I am gonna Overclock.

PS... I am sorry in advance if you dislike me asking questions like these and reply with sarcasm and or negativity. For the rest, thanks for any help. :D

Wow thanks hadn't seen that one before, nice with a 140mm, except its on the taller side at 171mm height :shock:

Update:
Actually it might fit and the price is not bad!

I have that cooler, its great. Its sitting on my 3770K in my kids Roblox box running at 4500. Right now I am using Thermalright Frost Commander 140, it is very good with my 5900.. I also have Le Grand Macho RT, that is a sweet cooler too, can be used passively up to 90w.. handled my 3770K with Linpack load with no fan on the cooler running at 4500. Temps were up there.. but still :D In case you didn't know, Ultra 120 Extreme is back, in Rev.4 mode this time. I might get it.. but I have many coolers as it is..

Awesome recommendations! I changed my mind and ordered an Asus B550-F with AMD 5600X instead. Thought newer CPU technology is better and almost on par with the 3700X besides the # of cores. Thread here https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-Compatibility-Question?p=8171456#post8171456

So yeah past on my friends offer on the B450 and 3700X. Though I am selling my current old AMD 1600 / Asus B350 setup to help out with some costs of the upgrade.

Back