• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overload

Building new system with NF7-s 2.0, AMD XP-M 2600+

Which of these would you recommend?

two of these: 256 mushkin

one of these: 2x256 mushkin

or one of these: 512 mushkin

or just this: ocz

I want to overclock, but is it worth it to get 2-2-2? this will give more headroom? or is it just a little faster?

flapperhead

it appears the amd stuff especially ur nf7 likes tight latency and responds well. as to whether dual channel should be used youll have to ask the nf7 experts cause i know some of those chipsets unlike intel aint that much better in dc..

disk11

I don't use DC since Athlon K7s can't make use of it.

The Mushkin has much better chips, but BH-6 needs extra voltage to do really well when overclocking.

OP
Overload

Overload

does now latency realy help a lot for performance or overclocking. the ocz is 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-2 but $50 less.
"BH-6 chips need more voltage" by this you mean that mushkin uses these windbond chips and on the NF7 a voltage mod may need to be performed to overclock then to their maximum potential.

also it sounds like dual channel may not be worth it. that is what i suspected but would like more opinions

how about these for $1 more: corsair

OP
Overload

Overload

Based on what was said in this thread pc3200 low latency is a good choice for amd, so i am at least on the right track. plan to buy in a week or so (on next CC cycle :)

disk11

does now latency realy help a lot for performance or overclocking.

Latency is performance only. Chips or ICs matter for overclocking.

"BH-6 chips need more voltage" by this you mean that mushkin uses these windbond chips and on the NF7 a voltage mod may need to be performed to overclock then to their maximum potential.

You are correct.

Corsiar XL is good as well. Does 2-2-2 up to 220 with 2.7-2.8 volts from what I have seen, and will hit a higher frequency than the Muskin with less volts but lower timings since the chips are rated for pc4000 (ddr500) from Samsung.

What memory you want to get depends on what timings you want, how far you want to overclock, and if you are willing to modify your board.

OP
Overload

Overload

disk11 said:
Latency is performance only. Chips or ICs matter for overclocking.
I though lower latency chips would allow more overclocking headroom buy increasing the timings at higher fsb?

disk11

Generally I would say that is true. If I remember correctly, some people have ended up with Mosel chips that can do 2-3-2-6 @ ddr400 in different low latency lines but overclock poorly.

I would still base my purchase on what ICs I get and not name brands or marketing names. Remember that Winbond BH-6, Hynix BT-D43, and Micron mT-5B C chips have made it into various, inexpensive memory like Kingston ValueRAM and Buffalo, and were run at higher latencies that they are rated for or easily capable of.

OP
Overload

Overload

disk11 said:
I would still base my purchase on what ICs I get and not name brands or marketing names. Remember that Winbond BH-6, Hynix BT-D43, and Micron mT-5B C chips have made it into various, inexpensive memory like Kingston ValueRAM and Buffalo, and were run at higher latencies that they are rated for or easily capable of.

I want to reach 200+ fsb. It looks like you can get two high latency sticks for the price of one low latency stick. so it sounds like some budget ddr400 ram with good chips is the way to go. I should be able to lower the timing below spec or at least overclock and run dual channel; where i could only have single channel of low latency
I dont know its confusing and mostly just luck.

disk11

Yeah, it seems to be hit and miss with the cheaper sticks. Check out your local Best Buy/Circuit City for Kingston ValueRAM sticks and see what ICs are on them, as you can occasonally strike gold.

OP
Overload

Overload

disk11 said:
Yeah, it seems to be hit and miss with the cheaper sticks. Check out your local Best Buy/Circuit City for Kingston ValueRAM sticks and see what ICs are on them, as you can occasonally strike gold.

how do you identify chips?
will they be labeled winbond, micron, hynix, ect or do you have to read a code. something like xxxxxxxbh-6?

disk11

Sometimes yes, it will say the acutal manufacurer, but sometimes Kingston rebrands them. If they are not rebranded, it should be similar to the sample you listed where bh-5/6 or bt-d43 will be at the end of a string of letters and numbers. For the Micron chips, use the pic I attached.

Attachments

• mt46v8m8_8b.gif
    mt46v8m8_8b.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 61