• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommendations for a DVD burning program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveokinevo

im just trying to see what everyone uses/used. im trying to do this the most automated way. in the past ive had problems with the words not matching the mouths when people talk. convertXtodvd has been pretty good for me. im burning at the slowest speed to help avoid any problems. any other input would be great. i usually just watch from the PC but this is for other people.

I've used Nero, ImgBurn, and a host of others. There are probably several good solutions here http://foro.doom9.org I've relied on Doom9 for years for that sort of stuff. The last software I used was BDLot, available here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bdlot_dvd_iso_master.html I ripped 902 GB to disk from DVD last month for a friend and had no problems. Simple to use and gets the job done.

edit: Back on topic, I never had any problems with Windows burning software, but for just burning discs I go with Nero or ImgBurn. Creative's software isn't bad, either. I got that with a ODD.

DvdFab works well. Nero works well. If you just want to compile working dvd's with a simple timelined menu, possible subs, etc, I'd go with dvdfab. I think I put a 3hr movie on a 4.7gb disc once and it came out well (LOTR). If you can burn to double layer discs which then would hold larger longer files, you could seemingly get better looking dvd's (using highest longest settings of course). I've used CinemaCraftEncoder, which is for duping, and the results look better than the original when you have 5, 6, even 8 pass encodes.
Handbrake was just updated but it is not simply click and go like dvdfab or nero (slightly more complex), but it will give the best output if that's your thing. It's free. Handbrake's version 0.99 could import avi's.

I use mostly MKVToolnix now for files only. It can take pretty much any video file and create either an mkv or mp4 (just rename output ext). I like makemkv as well. It burns an iso/disc straight to file with chapters and subs. There are some open source stuff but handbrake's probably the best for free. You're better of getting an unlocked dvd player as they are cheap and have a usb port which will accept any fat32 formatted usb and simply copy the files. Forget about burning squat. As long as the file is less than fat32 formatting you're good to go.
My buddies $1600 LG smart tv accepts mkv's as input to the usb ports but still won't accept anything other than fat32 formatting. Most tv's with a usb port will accept mp4's, avi's and whatnot, but not mkv's. Lame as that just a tiny chip with code on it.

Last edited:
I use discjuggler, Its highly technical compared to other apps and can do a lot more then just burn a iso or make a backup disk.
Its not for everyone but I like it. Its very useful when you need to burning off a cd for a very old computer running something like dos or have complex requirements. And of course its what you use to burn off dreamcast games and making Xvid disks for the dreamcast.
It can handle BluRays.

https://legacy.padus.com/downloads/demo.php

I use MakeMKV to rip then Handbrake to convert to MP4. Works perfect for DVD's.

If you're not absolutely looking for a free one, Amazon has the 2018 Platinum version of Nero for around $40 - about $90 off list.
I picked one up last Friday. Of course, Nero is a big conglomeration of stuff that you might not need.

For straight out copies Imgburn, for everything else which isn't too often in my case Nero burner.

Back