• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for Wi-Fi Extenders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

So we're setting up our computers in our basement, and two floors above that is the modem and router. As you may imagine, the Wi-Fi signal is less-than-good all the way down there (near the router we get about 180Mbps with the 5G, and in the basement it shoots all the way down to about 10Mbps). I know of Wi-Fi repeaters/extenders and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good, reliable ones that could get us a good signal two floors below the router? We tried two different powerline adapters and both of them failed miserably (they only got us about 5 more Mbps, at best). Any ideas? Thanks!

I haven't used any repeaters before.

But as for the powerline adapters. Make sure they are not plugged into a power bar and avoid joining onto circuits with high loads.

Also try different plugs since some will work better if no one has any good suggestions for repeaters.

I would ditch going repeater/extender and just get a mesh system, way better to use speed wise.

I have installed a few and I think the easiest ones are google wifi mesh.

Last edited:
I would ditch going repeater/extender and just get a mesh system, way better to use speed wise.

I have installed a few and I think the easiest ones are google wifi mesh.
I was going to suggest this also. I have the google wifi 3 pack set up in my house "basement and 2 floors above it" and have no issue with Wifi anywhere in the house, even in the basement and the Wifi originates on the top floor.

I was going to suggest this also. I have the google wifi 3 pack set up in my house "basement and 2 floors above it" and have no issue with Wifi anywhere in the house, even in the basement and the Wifi originates on the top floor.

Yeah exactly, and another good brand that is easy to setup would be the Eero and Orbi systems. The Orbi ones are app driven, they have outdoor extenders as well but those are pricey. Orbi can also have multiple "router" base ones in the mesh and they all act as nodes except for the main router pod.

A nice bonus too right now at a certain electronics retailer, would be a Eero system and a echo dot as a "free" addon if you buy the Eero 3 pack. Honestly with that you can't go wrong, especially if you are planning on doing smart home too.

Best is fiber Ethernet, then copper Ethernet, then MOCA or Homeplug over phone line, then a wireless bridge. Of these, the difference between fiber and copper is generally too small for fiber to be worth it for your application. If running Ethernet is not an option, check if both rooms have coax outlets, in which case MOCA would be a good choice. It's hard to find off the shelf hardware for Homeplug over phone line, but easy for an electronics hobbyist to convert regular Homeplug adapters to connect to phone lines.

For a wireless bridge, get a second router that supports DD-WRT and/or OpenWRT, then put it into client mode. Position it for optimum signal (directional antennas help a lot, especially on the bridge but also on the AP) and run Ethernet from the second router to the PCs. If you must get a wireless signal again, you can configure the other radio of a dual radio router to operate in AP mode. What you don't want a single radio extender (most cheap ones) or have the second AP operate on the same channel as your primary AP, since that will halve your bandwidth.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a mesh system.

From what I've read, mesh systems do not "create" a new network your devices need to connect to like repeaters/extenders do, or do they? It would be nice to know that the original network being broadcast from the router is simply being extended to the mesh system, and the devices are not creating their own separate network your phones/computers need to memorize and connect/disconnect from.

Also, how does a mesh system really differ from a repeater? I understand they basically come in a set up multiple devices, but why are they that much better than a simple repeater?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a mesh system.

From what I've read, mesh systems do not "create" a new network your devices need to connect to like repeaters/extenders do, or do they? It would be nice to know that the original network being broadcast from the router is simply being extended to the mesh system, and the devices are not creating their own separate network your phones/computers need to memorize and connect/disconnect from.

Also, how does a mesh system really differ from a repeater? I understand they basically come in a set up multiple devices, but why are they that much better than a simple repeater?
A mesh system creates one cohesive connection. With repeaters the jump from one connection point to the best isn't exactly seamless, with a mesh system they're made to transition devices from one connection to the next without a hitch. Ubiquiti was doing it before people started calling it mesh, and have now put out more consumer level mesh system with the tech they worked so well on for their commercial equipment.

A repeater from D-link or TP-Link would do the job.
You did not mention the details about the bandwidth and other things you need.
I have used repeaters but from what you said, it seems you want industrial-grade equipment.
I would not be able to tell much in that regard.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Recently I went with a Lynksis VELOP mesh system because it was relatively cheap, and so far it looks like it's doing the job (getting consistently fast speeds throughout the whole house, all three floors). Plugging a device into any of their ethernet ports seems to speed things up even more.

Back