• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended Volumetric Airflow through a Caprice Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howlingyeti

A quick question: I was wondering what people's experience with a good amount of airflow through a Caprice core. I was thinking about four Panflo M1A (84CFM)? Would this be enough or too much?

the more the meerier, oh i meen cooler, that would be good flow, if the noise get's to you though you can 7v mod it , you'll loos a .....little bit of flow, but the noise lvl is nice.

I'm not sure if you're talking about putting 4x80mm's on the rad, or just one 120mm...oh well.

It's becoming pretty apparent to me that airflow through the rad doesn't have a MAJOR effect on cooling. I usually run my Panaflo 120mm at 7v, which is around 60-70cfm I think, and when I turn it to full speed (probably around 110CFM) I get maybe 1C improvement at best. As long as you've got some air moving through the rad, you should be fine.

I wouldn't expect more than a couple degrees improvement when going above more than two fans... Like Johan said, reasonable flow to a LOT of flow will not make earth shaking results.

Remember that effective airflow rates are nothing close to the rated flow rates johan. The fan ratings are obtained in free flow airspace and axial fans create much less flow against pressure.

For clairifiaction I was thinking about 4 120mm Panflos 7-volted pushing a total of 256CFM in ideal conditions.

Incase you missed my last comment, those 4 fans will move nothing close to 256 CFM through your heatercore, especially at 7V.

A 256 CFM flow rate would move out all of the air currently in a 6 foot by 6 foot by 7 foot room in about one minute. That just isn't going to happen when you consider that the fans would have to do that while pushing the air through a resistance like a heatercore.

Since you said ideal conditions, I assume you meant that if the heatercore introduced zero resistance.

Remember that effective airflow rates are nothing close to the rated flow rates johan. The fan ratings are obtained in free flow airspace and axial fans create much less flow against pressure.
Correct, of course. I was just using that example to point out temp differences I saw in some kind of quantifiable way.

With those fans at 7v you're assuming 64cfm in our zero resistance setting, but actually...you're not going to get 256cfm total, you'd only get 128 at a higher pressure. Just to point that out. I think you'd do fine with only 2x120mm at 7v or so.

Recommended for what?

Maximum cooling? Optimal cooling? Most silent while maintaining sub-overheating temps? Blend of silence and performance?

A question like this should be specified for the best answer to it.

Okay.

Basicly, it seems two quiet 120mm fans seems to be standard. I won't even bother with CFM ratings since they're practically useless. If two 120mm fans seems to work well for the noise/performance ratio is using four just ****ing into the wind?

Not quite. Using four will increase the pressure and therefore the airflow through the block. It's just that I don't think the additional airflow will yeild very impressive results. I just turned my radiator fan, normally on 7v, up to 12v. I'll get back to you with the temp difference I see...if nothing else, hopefully we can get a rough estimation.

Alright, after a few minutes, my case temp went from 25C to 23C, while my processor temp dropped from 39C to 37C. Not a bad improvement, actually. Those extra two fans would help keep pressure up, and might take a couple degrees off your CPU temp.

It's up to you if it's worth the extra noise/cost though. :)

Back