• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recovering a deleted partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Earlier today I did an upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04, just a clean install to 22.04 LTS. Unfortunately in the process I was [evidently] careless in deleting un-needed partitions, ending up blasting my internal storage drive to kingdom-come. Fortunately, no overwrite, just partitioning deleted. As a fix booted into a 'live' Linux (take your pick) environment and installed testdisk. Followed a simple procedure, and in minutes was rebooting back into the installed enviornment, with normal access restored to my internal storage drive. (whew!)

Yikes! Yeah, measure twice, cut once..........or something. Glad you got it back!

*Golf clap*
Lol, yeah being careful goes a loooong way. I usually am, but sometimes the rift in space-time and inter-dimensional fluctuation causes anomalies that can't be accounted for. :chair:

I try to limit my fubars (of a given type) to occur only once every 4,060 days. On May 10, 2011 testdisk first saved my bacon:

Last edited:
Glad you were able to fix your problem.

Back before cable management was so extreme I would unplug any HDD that I wasn't working on to make sure I never had this issue. Nowadays it would take me half an hour to unplug the SATA cable then plug it back in and stuff the million fan wires in the little void behind the motherboard. Then spend another 5 minutes trying to get the captive thumb screws to catch a thread and tighten the panel.

Now... I just be super careful.

Glad you were able to fix your problem.

Back before cable management was so extreme I would unplug any HDD that I wasn't working on to make sure I never had this issue. Nowadays it would take me half an hour to unplug the SATA cable then plug it back in and stuff the million fan wires in the little void behind the motherboard. Then spend another 5 minutes trying to get the captive thumb screws to catch a thread and tighten the panel.

Now... I just be super careful.
...sounds like my NZXT H510.

Back