• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recovering old Docs on previous OS install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi,
On an older drive I have some remnants of an old win xp install. What i want to do is get into my old documents folder and recover anything that was not backed up but when I click it I get "d: documents and settings/user is not accessible access denied".
Is there a way around this?

Its super frustrating!!!!

Much Thanks

moz_21

Hi,
On an older drive I have some remnants of an old win xp install. What i want to do is get into my old documents folder and recover anything that was not backed up but when I click it I get "d: documents and settings/user is not accessible access denied".
Is there a way around this?

Its super frustrating!!!!

Much Thanks

I think it revolves around changing the folder's ownership and permissions.

neonblingbling

You can boot an Ubuntu-Linux CD in a "live session" and collect up files from the hdd and copy them to a pendrive.

I will put in a recommendation for Puppy Linux. It's a small download (<100 MB) and was simple enough for me to figure out (I use Windows all the time).

vgta88

i've done both suggestions and they work. take ownership of the files in your xp box. linux ignores the file permissions.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

ugg....linux, i'd rather wrestle a Llama naked. Is there a file recovery program that will allow me to access my documents. I know Linux is easy for some of you guys but it seems daunting because of the learning curve.

moz_21

ugg....linux, i'd rather wrestle a Llama naked. Is there a file recovery program that will allow me to access my documents. I know Linux is easy for some of you guys but it seems daunting because of the learning curve.

We already told you how to do it within a new Windows install...

moz_21

Wow...rude! Thats a prime example of why I hardly come here anymore...too many snotty replies to sincere questions. Someone already kindly explained how to do it w/ a link to an article that is very helpful. If I knew how to do it then i would not be asking. Rude!

Sorry, I just replied in a hurry, didn't refresh the page and see the other replies, I didn't mean for it to come off rude.