• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"recycle bin" folder & desktop.ini in WinXP >=(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

Anypne know how to prevent WinXP from putting the "Recycle Bin" folder (hidden) , and the desktop.ini folder it contains, from putting it on every single drive in my system? I've disabled the Recycle bin & have everything just fully delete whenever I delete anything.

Quite annoying, and I don't want it there :p

Did a search, but didn't find anything.

baqai

and if you delete them they magically appear again and again *grumble*

anyways there is a thing you can do

right click on recycle bin, properties -> set independant control to all the drive -> manually set the percentage usage to 0 (Zero)

turd

you could try this:

Go to START > RUN

Type GPEDIT.MSC

Navagate to USER CONFIGURATION >ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES >Click on DESKTOP,

On the right hand plane find " Remove Recycle Bin icon on the desktop " , double click on it to ENABLE it.

turd

You could also try disabling protected system files which would let you delete such things and keep them deleted:

Remember if you hack u regestry, do so at your own risk

anyways to restore XP to protected status just run\cmd
type SFC and you will see the list for enable

WARNING: Using this tweak means you will be able to delete vital Windows files.

Here’s a quick tweak to be able to totally disable Windows File Protection, the system that prevent users from deleting system and program files. Simply find the key SFCDisable in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon and edit it to hold the value 0xFFFFFF9D.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
um.. here's something that should work.

Delete the recycling bin off a hard drive.
Then, create an empty file called "Recycler" in the directory, and change the permissions on it so it's Read-only, and if you have NTFS, set the permissions everyone=read-only.

That way, when it tries to create the recycling bin, it sees that F:\Recycler already exists, and if it tries, it won't be able to create it.

OP
D

Daemonfly

Well, I'll try some of the things, perhaps stumble across something else too.

I like WinXP, but only after I disable most of the crap(a lot).