• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.9 on PowerPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm getting some weird results on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.9 (Tikanga) PowerPC build. I think it has two Power 5+ CPU's of 16 cores apiece that
have some sort of hyper-threading technology that makes them appear as 32 cores.

1.uname -a returns
2.6.18-348.el5 #1 SMP Wed Nov 28 21:23:52 EST 2012 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

2. getconf LONG_BIT returns 32-bit (but it should return 64-bit right?)

When I look at some binaries I've compiled I get the following statistics when I run
file on them:

charmrun: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, cisco 7500, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

In /bin/ chown and chmod both indicate they are ELF 32-bit MSB executable, cisco 4500 or PowerPC, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

What is a stripped binary as opposed to a not stripped binary?

I also forgot to ask, but why is a 64-bit Linux install using 32-bit core utilities? My x86_64 CentOS box has 64-bit versions of
chown and chmod.

Last edited:
stripped binaries have the debugging bits removed from the binary in order to save space.

A binary that hasn't been stripped has everything intended in the original program including the debug portions

Back