• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redesigned board for the Nexus fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thirstydg

Registered
Redesigned board for the Nexus fan controller(Pics)

I am new to this fourm and I posted this at another site but I didnt have one answer I would kinda hate to think I am the only persone that owns one of these controllers.
I recently RMA'd my Nexus fan controller.
I was really disapointed with the Nexus controller when I received it (The first one.)
I plugged it in and all that happened was it became hot I mean so hot I couldnt even touch it.
After talking to a few freinds at a couple of different on line resellers about problems with these controllers.
I came to the conclusion that there was alot of problems with these things.
Here is the pic of the
first one although its not the best picture look at the way they have the board set up.(pay attention)
Now here is a picture of the one I received
today Notice anything different???
I did and this was without even looking at it.
When I took it out of the box I noticed it was heavy to the point it was REAl noticable.
Look at how much bigger the new board is.
The original one was so light that a 40mm fan would of blown it off of my desk on to the floor.Well I can say one thing for sure if this one doesnt work I will have a good paper weight because it's just not worth the shipping to send it back again.Do you own one of these and do you like it?And have you had problems? And if you had it replaced what did you get back for a RMA?
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
You're not alone. ;)

Take a peak here: ;)

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155932&highlight=nexus+death+destruction

We conducted a long investigation and found that some of the traces were shorting against a mounting screw. That sounds like what happened to yours. You should investigate the mounting screws on your replacement unit as stated in that thread to make sure it's fixed, but from what we've seen, Vantec fixed the problem in later PCB revisions.

-- Paul

OP
T

thirstydg

Registered
Thanks I normally do a search on my subjects but I wanted first hand accounts. Wow those are some threads this is a good start.
Now I know why they didnt give me any problem with returning it.

macklin01

As I recall, you may not be able to see the change without mounting the board. I seem to remember a post that said (newegg?) was putting washers on them as we had begun to do, without a change in the PCB.

-- Paul

OP
T

thirstydg

Registered
I marked my old unit with a UV marker.Trust me they gave me a completely different borad (in design).Look at the pic's you'll see the big coils on the new one.

macklin01

That's not what I meant. I meant same board design, not same physical board unit. (ANd I meant it for IR1.) Sorry for any ambiguity. -- Paul

OP
T

thirstydg

Registered
I looked it over and it is very close where the screw mount the board I put some fiber washers on it just incase.
I posted on it in the other thread Nexus death and destruction on this site.
I am going to let it run on my bench for 24 hours for effect.I want to make sure I would be ****ed if I melted down an expensive system with this POS.