• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reducing inlet restriction...is this idea overkill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Currently my Danner Mag 3 just uses a 1/2"...darn, what are they called...well, a little plastic thing with 1/2" NPT male threads on both sides. Ah, a coupling, that's it. :) Anyway, it has one of those on the intake, and my clearflex stretches around it to provide as little flow restriction as possible. I was wondering...would it be overkill (if there is such a thing :D) to use a barb adapter and a piece of 3/4" tubing to stretch over the outside of the inlet? Kinda like a little mini-res...that would give it as much intake area as it has when it's run submerged.

people have been doing this with 5/8" inch tubing, but you might have a hard time stretching it over 3/4".

With 5/8" you have a 1/2" ID so youde have a 'true' 1/2" setup. The thing is, the barbs on the Block and Radiator will have to be upsized to complete this 'true 1/2"' circut.

No, that's not the idea...currently I have a 5/8 barb so that it's 1/2" ID already. My idea is to stretch 3/4" ID tubing over the outside of the female threaded inlet, so that I'll have 3/4"ID or so at the very last section right into the intake. Basically no barbs on the intake at all.

I say go for it, I have tested stuff along those lines with my maxi-jet 1200 and it does seem to help. It seems to help the intake be more smooth and seems to help performance a bit. Also it probably will help extend the life of the pump since the pump is taking in water more evenly~less vibration,stresses on the impeller etc. Restricting the intake is one of the worst things you can do for these watercooling mag driven pumps.

Back