• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reformatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

How do I reformat my drive? I want to erase everything and do a fresh install of windows, but lack the know how of doing it, is there a certain way I have to delete it alla nd reinstall, or just install over it, I am using Windows XP home edition OEM

DeathONator

I would make sure I had a 98 boot disk ready just in case. Some people might use fdisk (from the 98 boot disk) to re-partition your drive, but the XP CD can do this also. Boot up your computer, keep hitting DEL (F9 on some computer) to enter the BIOS. Go to what should be your second option: "Advanced BIOS Features" (or something like that), then check to see if your CD-ROM will boot before your IDE HDD drive. I would make A: boot first, CDROM second (dosn't really matter as long as CD is before your hard drive). Put in your windows XP CD, save and exit BIOS. It will ask to make sure you want to boot to CD, kit any key. Let the CD load. Then just follow the on screen stuff. Don't install over your current install, reformat the drive first. To do this delete the current partition when you get to that screen. If you have any more questions search google. It's pretty strait forward though.

Sence you have the OEM version you need to make sure it's the actual XP install CD and not just a disk image.

Lord_Zoltan

i would just boot from cd, because there is an option when you boot from the windowsxp cd that allows you to format.

ALSO, i use ntfs so it doesnt detect pointless. useless, worthless floppydrives, thus i always boot from cdrom :)