• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refresh Rate Question (I did a search)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. Have a question about running your monitor out of spec. I have just added a second monitor to my setup, an old Dell 1226H 19" monitor running at 1600 X 1200 resolution to match my Sony CPD-G520 21" Monitor. This monitor is fairly old, it comes from my Dell Dimension XPS R450 that I recently retired, but kept the monitor. My question is, the max that the monitor supposedly supports is 75Hz @ 1600 X 1200 resolution, but after installing UltraMon I now have the option to run it at 85Hz. I would prefer to run it at 85Hz. (I have sensitive eyes and 75Hz is about my borderline) Is it safe to run at 85Hz or should I just play it safe and run at 75Hz? This monitor is fairly old (4 years+) and am hoping to replace it with a Sony CPD-E540 as soon as I can save up enough money. Thanks for your replies.

Monitors are not very friendly to overclocking, in my school the people in the compsys lab do that all the time and every week there is a dead monitor lying outside the room.

Thanks for the reply, guess I will keep it at 75Hz and will have to wait until I can afford the second 21" monitor. I don't look at my secondary monitor for extended periods of time anyway so it really doesn't bother me. What really annoys me is that my 19" monitor is a lot darker than my 21" monitor even at maximum contrast and brightness :mad:.

I also believe that the life time of monitors is not really expecting to be much more than around 9 years...since yours is mid way within its life time I wouldnt really consider stressing it out too much by overclocking it.

I can also suggest improving the lighting in your room, if refresh flicker gets to you. If you use flourescent lights primarily, they can 'sync' with lower refresh rates (esPECIally 60hz) and be really noticeably annoying.

If 75hz is killing you, try 1280x1024. Slightly bigger stuff should be easier on your eyes. ;)

Back