• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refresh Rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nevandal

Registered
I just got a question about refresh rates.

I know my CRT monitors have to be 85Hz for me not to see flickering...

But most LCD monitors say they have a refresh of 60Hz. Why do LCDs even have refresh rates? I thought they were measured by response time? Will an LCD with 60Hz "refresh rate" look as flickery as a CRT with 60Hz refresh? Someone clear this up for me please.

RadRacer

The are measured by response time. The thing about a CRT is that it has to redraw the picture so many times per second (hertz) so that the right phosphors on the screen stay lit their designated color. LCDs don't have this disadvantage because they are digital devices. Each pixel has its own address and is changed one by one, not one screen at a time.

OP
N

Nevandal

Registered
Yes I know this...

but what I dont know is why on some websites they say "this such and such LCD monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate" WTF? That's weird huh?

Also what is a good response time If I do a lot of videogames (fast FPS graphics too)?

Ugmore Baggage

The flicker you see in a CRT is because sometimes your eye will be out of sync with the screen so it will see the top half of one frame and the bottom half of the previous. LCD still have refresh rates, but they do it all at once.