• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Regulation on Vantec PSU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WinFlex

So everyone's all hyped up about those black Vantec stealth PSU's. Reviews are impressive, but one question remains:
What is the regulation on these PSU's? Antec psu's are good with 3%, PCP&C is at the lead with 1%, and almost everyone else has 5%. Vantec fails to specify the regulation of their psu's on their website... anyone happen to know what it is?

Sonny said:
Yeah it's 1% according to the SPECSHEET from Vantec.

This specsheet shows various numbers though... I also see some "allowable" output ranges from 5-10%... I wonder whether it's really comparable to the PCP&P regulation.

it has a load of 650w (the 520w) and is gauranteed to regulate only 1% according to vantec. its better than the antec for sure, and sleaker and quieter than a pcpc -- plus its only $120.. their gaurantee stands strong, mine doesnt move at all.

FIZZ3 said:

This specsheet shows various numbers though... I also see some "allowable" output ranges from 5-10%... I wonder whether it's really comparable to the PCP&P regulation.
My thoughts exactly. The spec sheet has 2 different sets of line reg., one with 1% and one with 5%, very confusing.

well, the bottom line is that everyone i've heard of is getting very nice voltages on this psu. that's really all that counts

it also matches my black case. (which really didn't/shouldn't affect your choice when searching for the right PSU btw. :p)

Seriously though, I've been hearing good stuff about Vantec PSU's.

I believe that the Vantec specs are

Volts will be within 5% off the value

Whatever that value is, it will not vary by more that 1%

ie, if your +12V read 11.97V then this is within the 5% but the 11,97 will not vary by more than 1%

Make sense??

BrianH2O said:

ie, if your +12V read 11.97V then this is within the 5% but the 11,97 will not vary by more than 1%

Make sense??

Exactly what it says, a lot of people get confused about 3.2.1 & 3.2.2.

BrianH2O said:

Make sense??
Ahhh, if that is so, it is NOT a true 1% reg. PCP&C will be within 1% of each given rail (5V, 3.3V &12V).

nikhsub1 said:
Ahhh, if that is so, it is NOT a true 1% reg. PCP&C will be within 1% of each given rail (5V, 3.3V &12V).

Your confused, production tolerances & line regulation are 2 different things.

Sonny said:

Your confused, production tolerances & line regulation are 2 different things.
I'm not confused. If I what brianH20 said is true, it works like this:

Vantec
5V In spec from 4.75V - 5.25V (5%)
3.3V In spec from 3.135 - 3.465V (5%)
12V In spec from 11.4V - 12.6V (5%)

On the Vantec if the 5V is at 4.8V, deviation should be no more than 1% FROM 4.8V, which on the PCP&C IS ALREADY OUT OF SPEC!!!- This is mickey mouse regulation if this IS in fact correct.

ive contacted a vantec sales rep, the voltage regulations are 1% on the 520w -- just look at the voltages going to those rails, how could it vary? :p -- honestly, im sitting here and telling u the rails dont move, why dont u believe me.

I own a 520W from Vantec. My volts are as follows

Bois 5V ---> 5.00
12V ---> 11.97
3.3v --> 3.36

Asus Probe
5V ---> 4.999
12V ---> 11.968
3.3v --> 3.360

MBM 5V ---> 5.00
12V ---> 11.25
3.3v --> 3.36

VoltMeter (not an accurate one)
5V ---> 5.0
12V ---> 12.0
3.3v --> 3.4

But, the voltages never change. The only bad reading is MBM on the 12V line. I suspect this is incorrect somehow. I really line my 5v line... it is really 5V, not very common today

nikhsub1 said:

Vantec

On the Vantec if the 5V is at 4.8V, deviation should be no more than 1% FROM 4.8V, which on the PCP&C IS ALREADY OUT OF SPEC!!!- This is mickey mouse regulation if this IS in fact correct.

Ok I understand the different tolerance/regulation issues as Sonny also posted, but I agree with nikhsub1 that this is not how PCP&P deals with these things or at least they don't list it. I would favor the PCP&P specs at this time.

To the 520W Vantec user; 11.27 on your 12v with such a beefy supply is quite poor in my book and I'd trust MBM5 before Asus Probe.

nikhsub1 said:

Vantec

Believe what you like but people who own a Vantec 520W are still getting the proper voltages & that is proof enough of their performance is on par with your highend PCP&C. Understand what regulation means & why it is different from tolerances & not a fake assumption of how low the rails are, yes I understand what your saying but looking at the glass half empty will always make things look bad even if they are not.

Sonny said:

Believe what you like but people who own a Vantec 520W are still getting the proper voltages & that is proof enough of their performance is on par with your highend PCP&C. Understand what regulation means & why it is different from tolerances & not a fake assumption of how low the rails are, yes I understand what your saying but looking at the glass half empty will always make things look bad even if they are not.
I have only heard great things about these PSU's, don't take me as a detractor, all I am after are facts, that is all. If I can not RMA a PSU with a 5V at 4.75V becasue it is "in spec" within 5%, that is a problem for me. From what I think I understand, this is the case with Vantec, the 5V WOULD be in spec at 4.75V, yes? PCP&C if the 5V is below 4.95V or above 5.05V, it is OUT OF SPEC and should be RMA'd. PCP&C will gladly do that too if it deviates off the 5V, 3.3V, or 12V by more than 1%. This is the point I am trying to make. If I buy a Vantec with my power hungry Epox board and AMD CPU at 2.1V is my 5V going to remain above 4.95V? If it drops to 4.9V can it be RETURNED because it is OUT OF SPEC? I need to know these things BEFORE I ever buy one. I have called Vantec but never heard back on this issue.

Back