• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remember the Zalman Reserator? Check this out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
For less than a quarter the price...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QSTHLQ

View attachment 211834

On auto parts sites, amazon and I'd imagine ebay as oil & transmission cooler "heatsinks". These are aluminum liquid tanks, with fins, perfect for passive cooling. Linked above is a 24" long, 2" or 3" wide and is tapped with standard threaded fittings. Available in single & dual pass, for optimum heat exchange. I linked a dual pass, and that is what I'll be getting. (for those who don't know, this means there is a wall down the length of the tank so water can't go from inlet to outlet without fully circulating)

Anybody ever thought of this? Ever done it? I'm excited... VERY excited. Available in many lengths, different configurations. Even anodized black. They are $40 to $80 and can even be found for less. Imagine 3x anodized black on the right side of a PC case for a silent WC loop... I'm SERIOUSLY considering it.

For those who never saw one, or don't remember, this is the inspiration for my idea here:

Zalman's Reserator
https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00029BPR6

View attachment 211835

ThermalTake also had a similar kit / unit.

Wanted to share this affordable and very interesting alternative to a big radiator. When I have the funds not needed other places, this is so happening.

EDIT: for a better idea without your own need to hunt on gogle, here is a great example:
View attachment 211836

I remember wanting one of these back in the day. Curious how it works out for you.

I know, right?? I totally wanted one! Didn't care how it performed either, I'd have certainly found a use for it. Either supplementaly using it with a beast of a gaming rig in addition to a rad, or for a silent HTPC that could stand to be in the 50s 60s C.

Here is TT's (somewhat laughable) "Rocket":
View attachment 211839

Thid, I think it was you that actually may have sold me my first commercially made waterblock??? The Apogee? And an MCR220 if I'm not mistaken.

Thid, I think it was you that actually may have sold me my first commercially made waterblock??? The Apogee? And an MCR220 if I'm not mistaken.
Looking at the for sale thread, we did a trade and I sent you an Apogee, yeah. No idea how you remember that, ha. Don't think I sold you a radiator though, as I had a Danger Den BIX 120.3.

I am ashamed to admit I had a TT water cooling system before I built my own. I instantly recognized the block and reservoir, though my loop wasn't passively cooled.

Haha. Good times, I miss them. I DO remember buying your Abit s775 board off you. And selling you a Sony receiver. We did quite a bit of trading one year. All in all though, I stopped buying/selling here around 2009 I *think* so that is probably why I still remember.

BTW don't be ashamed. I remember getting bashed hard for asking on another forum in 2006 "Why are the TT kits so bad? Give me proof!". I was young, obviously on a budget. My first loop worthy of truly being considered "performance" cooling consisted of your Apogee, a large heatercore /w a 120V AC fan and cardboard shroud in my bedroom window from October on. I remember taking screenshots of like -6 CPU temps, something like that by the time February came around.. That was on my brand new X3210, a bit cheaper than the Q6600 at the time. Didn't do any decent OCing till I moved on to gigabyte boards with newer chipsets. I remember having to switch my pump to another power outlet and all the sudden temps skyrocketed. As soon as flow stopped, my rad had frozen completely solid rofl. Out came the heatgun. No damage done. Used to have so much fun OCing.

An AM4 compatible Apogee Drive II (https://www.frozencpu.com/products/...-_Sockets_AMD_AM4_APD2-AMD.html?tl=g30c85s139) seems like quite an attractive option... One of those bad boys, then either two of these tanks on top of a tower case and a 120 or 240mm rad inside. Or... 4 of those "ghettorators" standing up the tall way down the right side of a tower, with or without a 120mm rad inside for a little boost.

This would most certainly yield silent operation under most normal everyday loads, and a 120 or 240 mm rad in addition gives a BIOS or software controlled solution to when you are doing a heavy load. (the fan can automaticly ramp up or turn on)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

My case is 17.1" tall. These are available in MANY sizes. At this link (in black finish!) 12", 15" and 18". https://www.amazon.com/silver-Anodized-Single-Transmission-Fitting/dp/B07DPJ7ZJT

I think four 15" units standing vertically would look beautiful on the non-window side of my case. Could come out super clean. Would cost about $160 for the four coolers all said and done. I'm sure I can find them cheaper though. Basically identical units go from $30 - $90 depending on whatever racing brand name they "slap" on it lol.

View attachment 211855

EDIT:

Not what I'm gonna buy, but someone browsing this thread may be interested: https://www.amazon.com/Spec-D-Tuning-RAD-CV92-Aluminum-Radiator/dp/B00EHE99OS

A sub $45 Honda Civic rad, All aluminum (welded seems, NOT plastic tanks). MT version too so no AC fittings to deal with. Last time I searched the net, only plastic tank rads could be found cheap. BTW, slightly more $$ and they have some beautiful looking ones with square tanks.

Would be excellent for a super high heat capacity loop, peltier WC cooling, or a passive \ silent setup. Ehh, actually, for $45 to my door... may pick this up after I move :D But first things first!

Last edited:
Back