• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote desktop viewer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I login to various servers all day long, predominantly windows but linux also.

I could use rdesktop for the servers, but I'd like a GUI that saves my connections and possibly includes some other options.

I currently use "mstsc /v servername" from the run prompt in windows.

I would love to replace it with something nice and open source. Visionapp is a closed source example of something like what I'm looking for, tho I don't need all the bells and whistles, just what I stated above.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Ok, I did a poor job describing my needs.

The systems I'm connecting to are already remote controllable, and installing software on them is not an option (not for this purpose anyways). I just want a better client to connect to them with.

So say I have about 400 servers to work with. Rather than reference my password spreadsheet and manually input the information for each server, I'd like to save a connection profile for each server, which stores the network name, password, possibly some comments/description, etc. I can then click on the name of the server within the app to launch a remote desktop session.

That's essentially what I want the program to do. Visionapp does that, but it's not free/open source. I could just go pay for it, not a big deal, but I'd prefer to stick with something open source. I'm assuming it exists and I just don't know the name of it - could be a bad assumption.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
have you tried NoMachineNX?
granted you would have to install the NX daemon and you said installing software is not an option.

Other then that I cant help much i dont think

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Windows or linux is fine, I run linux with an xp guest on my work machine. Either OS works, as long as its basically just an RDP front-end (able to connect to default windows remote desktop service, or an RDP daemon on RHEL).

I'll checkout nomachinenx, but like you said, it won't work for this purpose.

MRD

I don't know off the top of my head as I don't use any Windows servers, but I will ask around.

pdbogen

Registered
rdesktop

rdesktop allows you to specify a hostname, password, username, domain, and whatever else you need, on the command line.

All you need to do are make a bunch of simple bash scripts:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
rdesktop -u <username> -p <password> <hostname>

You could get more advanced than this, if you can program at all.. Tossing together a simple GUI (i.e., perltk) around a small database would be pretty trivial.

Were there other options you were looking for?

{PMS}fishy

I login to various servers all day long, predominantly windows but linux also.

I could use rdesktop for the servers, but I'd like a GUI that saves my connections and possibly includes some other options.

You can save connections in M$ Terminal Services Manager --> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759024(WS.10).aspx

tsclient is a GUI for rdesktop. I use it every day and it works flawlessly. You can also save shortcuts to servers. (P.S. saving passwords is a bad idea)

http://linux.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/tsclient-Screenshot-3583.html

tsclient_1.png

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i've used tsclient in the past and it has worked well. another alternative is grdesktop.

grdesktop.png

i personally just use rdesktop and i wrote a simple script which pops up a gui (using zenity) and prompts me enter the server name. it automatically inputs the domain name and username by what i set in the script itself. you should be able to set the password if you want as well. i am not sure if all of your servers that you want to connect to with remote desktop have different passwords or not, but here is what if have if it could help at all:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
hostname=`zenity --entry --title="Remote Desktop" --width=300 --height=125 --timeout 30 --text="Which server would you like to connect to?" --entry-text="<server name>"`
if [ "$hostname" == "<server name>" ]
then
zenity --error --text="You must enter a hostname." --width=225 --height=50 --timeout 30
else
rdesktop -u mbentley -d mbentley -g 1024x722 -N -z -a 16 -0 -r clipboard:CLIPBOARD "$hostname":3389
fi

some of my options are a little weird just because of my screen size but it works well for me and is simple. i used to use tsclient but it has been masked in portage so i just decided to go with a simple "front end" script.

*edit: just realized you are connecting from a windows box. makes a bit of a difference... :D

Last edited:

ratbuddy

Ok, I did a poor job describing my needs.

The systems I'm connecting to are already remote controllable, and installing software on them is not an option (not for this purpose anyways). I just want a better client to connect to them with.

So say I have about 400 servers to work with. Rather than reference my password spreadsheet and manually input the information for each server, I'd like to save a connection profile for each server, which stores the network name, password, possibly some comments/description, etc. I can then click on the name of the server within the app to launch a remote desktop session.

That's essentially what I want the program to do. Visionapp does that, but it's not free/open source. I could just go pay for it, not a big deal, but I'd prefer to stick with something open source. I'm assuming it exists and I just don't know the name of it - could be a bad assumption.

Assuming your XP is SP3, can't ya just install RDC 7? I'm pretty sure it can do everything you ask..

edit: Download links are towards the bottom of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084