• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removeable shunt mod for the RTX 3080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

So I have been working on shunt moding my card since these 3080s are so power limited. I used a silver tracing pin to paint over top of the shunts. That way I can remove it in the future if I need to. It works great and I got a nice boost. My perfcap reason is no longer PWR, it's voltage which is what we went to see. It ups the BIOS power limit from 340W to around 475W which is pretty much as much power as you can draw from these cards before they become voltage limited. Now if only I could figure out how to get more voltage into the core...

Also, this website really needs to get its crap together and fix this image uploading problem. I cant upload images, never could. Here are the pics if you want them:

EDIT: Added the pics here for you. :)

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Thanks for sharing! That's awesome.

What was the net gain %-wise over your current overclock?
How much did the core clocks change/boost to before/after the mod?

Also, this website really needs to get its crap together and fix this image uploading problem.
Easy...

You can only do so in the advanced editor, not quick reply. That's the only thing that has changed in four years. You've been here for 14 years... get your crap together. :p

Click on Go Advanced, and you'll see the option to add it.

Last edited:
OP
S

SPL Tech

My Superposition score with the card stock was 14657 at 4k optimized. When overclocked and power limit at 107%, I got 15421. Once I added the shunt mod it went up to 15912. So like 8% gain over OEM settings which is really close to the performance of a 3090 at stock settings.. However, a few notes. When I was overclocked without the shunt mod the card was constantly power limited and my vcore would constantly downclock, sometimes as low as in the 1900s even though I was overclocked to 2070 Mhz. Once I did the shunt mod the card locked SOLID at 2070 Mhz and it doesent downclock much. Also, the power limitation in GPU-Z went away and now it's all VOP and VREL limited, so limited by the 1.07v hard cap.

The card pulls a metric crap ton of power though. The 12v cables get warm to the touch and the PCI-E slot is quite warm. Not enough to be dangerous, but hot enough to feel for sure. :) Power draw from the wall is about 580w in Cyberpunk (computer only, no accessories or monitor).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
In essence, your mod netted you 3% over the existing overclock.

How does that stuff come off? I used to make traces to connect points but did it on tape. Does that stuff come off CLEAN in case you have to RMA?

OP
S

SPL Tech

In essence, your mod netted you 3% over the existing overclock.

How does that stuff come off? I used to make traces to connect points but did it on tape. Does that stuff come off CLEAN in case you have to RMA?

Well I havent tried to pull it off a shunt yet, but I drew a line on a blank section of the PCB and I was able to remove it completely with rubbing alcohol and a towel. It took a bit of scraping with my fingernail, but it came off completely and left no trace. So yes I think it is possible to remove without leaving a trace, but I think that it would take some work.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

140567629_10222986143834857_4627416743578714285_n.jpg

Also to note is I modified my waterblock too. It dident provide coverage for the coils and those things get HOT AF. With this much power running through them they get absurdly hot. The coils are hotter than the core. So I added some aluminum bar to the block and then put some TIM to bridge the gap. I was not easy to do as I had to be really precise with the thickness of the bar, but I made it work after several attempts. Even with that mod, the backside of the PCB still gets extremely hot under the coils. I dont know why EWKB dident just machine the part to allow cooling for the coils. That was dumb on their part. Even the OEM does that.

OP
S

SPL Tech

This is big news! Not many hardcore overclockers on this site though. This is more of the softcore overclocking community. The hardcores like to hang at extremeoc.com. haha :p Everyone should shunt mod their 3080s and 3090s. Give them the power they want and crave. Just make sure you upgrade to water because the stock HSF will melt.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Nice to see it works well :thup:

Most hardcore overclockers extinct years ago. It's because competitive overclocking has changed into who pays more, who gets better samples, and who has better support from manufacturers. Those who still do that stuff, usually don't share it often as there is no audience for that. Most others see no point in risking their highly overpriced hardware to get a 3% performance gain in benchmarks.
It's the same everywhere. Most forums I used to visit for some hardware mods or other things don't exist anymore or turned into casual overclocking and gaming. Since manufacturers limit everything on hardware then it won't really change. Some people think that extreme is to buy overpriced hardware and pour LN2 on everything. This is how 90% of "amazing" results look on hwbot nowadays. Some time ago people were doing really extreme mods to push their hardware but not many of them left.

I had no problems with power limits on my new cards and RTX3070 already went to my brother. I left with RX6800XT which has a frequency limit so mods won't help in anything unless AMD unlocks it. I'm not complaining as 2800MHz is still great but I would play with BIOS mods if it had any point.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I kinda think my Power limit is 450W plus without the shunt mod:p..but the science of fah is as much about stability as it is about OC.;)

Sazabizc

So I have been working on shunt moding my card since these 3080s are so power limited. I used a silver tracing pin to paint over top of the shunts. That way I can remove it in the future if I need to. It works great and I got a nice boost. My perfcap reason is no longer PWR, it's voltage which is what we went to see. It ups the BIOS power limit from 340W to around 475W which is pretty much as much power as you can draw from these cards before they become voltage limited. Now if only I could figure out how to get more voltage into the core...

Also, this website really needs to get its crap together and fix this image uploading problem. I cant upload images, never could. Here are the pics if you want them:

EDIT: Added the pics here for you. :)

View attachment 212704
View attachment 212705
Id love to do this to my evga 3080 ftw3 that cant power balance the power draw between the 3 pcie connectors to save its own life... . I know this tread is a year old now, but when you said you used a silver tracing pin, was it actually silver ? I looked and they make nickel , carbon and silver pens . the silver has the lest amount of resistance.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I'd definitely suggest going with silver on this for the pen, as you want it to bypass as much current around the shunt resistor as possible for best results. What you're doing is effectively making a low resistance circuit in parallel with the shunt resistor, which lowers the effective resistance of the shunt resistor thereby increasing the power delivered to the GPU itself

Sazabizc

I'd definitely suggest going with silver on this for the pen, as you want it to bypass as much current around the shunt resistor as possible for best results. What you're doing is effectively making a low resistance circuit in parallel with the shunt resistor, which lowers the effective resistance of the shunt resistor thereby increasing the power delivered to the GPU itself
Thanks. Really thinking about trying this... Right now my 3080 ftw3 card is only pulling 400 watts peaks at 420 for a second , even with the 450 bios installed . Lots of other 3080 ftw3 owners are having the same problem, no respone from evga on this problem. Card will not pull equal amount of power through the 3 pcie connectors. Many blame it on the crappy analog voltage controller evga decided to use. On my card it only pulls 75 watts from the 3rd connector. Many were saying shunt modding the cards would fix that... cause right now even at 400ws gpuz says Im power limited . I realize even if my card pulled 450 watts or 500. it probably wouldn't change performance that much. But it absolutely drives me mad , that a so called top of the line , 810$ gpu can barley pull more power (50 watts) then a fe 3080.... when it has 3 freaken pcie connectors.. and the fe is much cheaper if you can find it at msrp. reallly wish I could have got a 3080 strix. They don't have this problem , cause they used a much better voltage controller ..the same one the fe uses....... Ok imm done ranting for now.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
50W over an FE 3080 is actually significant...a 14%+ increase. Also, if you got that card for $810 that's MSRP (FE is $700 MSRP a mere $100 cheaper than what you paid for your 3080) and consider yourself lucky! It's very typical from every card (even actual flagships) the increase over stock (power limit, wherever it starts) is typically a few %.

As far as load balancing the power coming in... I dont imagine it matters at all. The VRMs are getting the power it needs. Maybe the 3rd plug is for the board and memory only? I don't know...just throwing stuff out there. I do know I wouldn't worry about that. Feels like minutia. :)

Sazabizc

50W over an FE 3080 is actually significant...a 14%+ increase. Also, if you got that card for $810 that's MSRP (FE is $700 MSRP a mere $100 cheaper than what you paid for your 3080) and consider yourself lucky! It's very typical from every card (even actual flagships) the increase over stock (power limit, wherever it starts) is typically a few %.

As far as load balancing the power coming in... I dont imagine it matters at all. The VRMs are getting the power it needs. Maybe the 3rd plug is for the board and memory only? I don't know...just throwing stuff out there. I do know I wouldn't worry about that. Feels like minutia. :)
the power balancing is a problem, There are a few people with evga 3080 and 3090s that do not have this problem . But many like me do, some are worse then mine. Why some card have the problem and others don't I have no idea. Does this problem effect the performance much? to a average user no. My problem is, with how much the 3080 ftw3 is now 910$ msrp... your not getting what you payed for. Watch buildzoids video on the 3080 ftw3.... its basically a stretched reference design with a good vrm but awful voltage controller . buildzoid really harped on evga for doing that, he didn't think you are getting what you pay for and that when it was 810$. I agree with him. Now add on top of all that , that the card cant power balance right.... to the point its getting power limted cause it wants to pull over 150 watts on pcie connector 2 , when connector one is at 130 watt and 3 is just 75 watt.... When all it has to do is pull more from connector 3.... yeah im not happy with this card at all. The good 3080s like the fe and strix have a digital voltage controller that can adjust on the fly.

evga really dropped the ball on the 3080s in my option, there 2080 ftw3 was way over built.. and had smds from the 2080 ti. Evga didnt have to do that , but I like that cause it makes you feel like your getting a card that's better built then the reference design.. On the 3080 they cheaped out as much as possible and still charged 210$ and now 310$ more then the fe card. If the 3080 ftw3 wasn't 310$ msrp more then the fe.. then I wouldn't feel like I got handed a bag of goods.. Also doesn't help that evga forms are full of treads of people talking about this proplrm and as far as I know, evga hasn't said a word on it. Well apparently jacob Did say something about this but it was only for the 3090s . The 3080 ti seem to have the problem to.

Maybe Im being anal about this, but it just bugs the crap out of me cause the card is being limited cause its to dumb to power balance right... I did get it for msrp but unfortunately the new price 910$ waited over a year in evga que and got the email in October, And dont get me wrong.. I am glad I got a 3080.. given the supply shortages and all. I really just don't feel like I got what I paid for. Lol feel funny saying that when there are thousands of people that are still trying to get a 3080... but hay... if I found a 3080 strix drool or even a 3080 ti strix.... then those people probably will get a chance to buy my 3080 on ebay :ROFLMAO:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Odd. I've tested other cards and saw an imbalance as well thinking it's normal.

Has there been a bios update on that card (or others) since a year ago? That statement from Jacob was 2/19/201.