• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removed fan from heat sink put back on now makes noise whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Networker

Disabled
guys i removed the fan from the heat sink to clean the fan from all the dust that had accumulated on it anyway, i go to put it back on and now for some stupid reason it makes noise! what the hell did i do wrong putting it back on? i mean it looks pretty straight forward there are holes for the fan to be screwed into the heat sink and so whatever ducts are their in the heat sink i just slide the screw into the holes of the fan and tighten so did i do something wrong installing it? or what help!!!!!!

Paxmax

I hope it isn't placed upside down.
And... my pal used compressed air and blew over, under, through the fan... it got clean alright, but he had a little too fun blowing air through it and "over revved" it and the bearing got shot.

Just a tip. /Paxmax

OP
N

Networker

Disabled
dam man i think thats what i did i had a can of compressed air and blew it onto the fan to clean the parts ****!!!! so if the bearing is shot can the fan still spin? i mean mine spins say if dont place it on the heat sink it spins, but if i put it on the heat sink it makes noise and sometimes stops and stuff, i think you are right i must have over revved it and the bearing went shot.

Paxmax

Another idea is, you might have blown dirt all the way into the bearing. A busted bearing would be squeaky, or too loose causing vibration. If the bearing(or the wings) is is clogged by dirt the blades will not rotate freely. But if the fan stutters, probably the fan driver or one of the inductors are busted.

To get "inside" the fan, you need to peel off the bottom sticker and loosen the screws(this is good for maybe 90% of the PC used fans)

/Paxmax

Paxmax

Oh! Unless it's that new TMD fan, with metal housing and the inductors placed outside the wings.
The screws for it can not be tightened hard at all. It shorts out the inductors inside the housing.

/Paxmax

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Another possibility, although not common: I have a sink that is not quite square on TOP (!!!) and if I tighten a fan down too tight on it, the fan housing itself will warp slightly and cause the fan to make a lot of noise.

Loosen the screws just a bit, one at a time and see if that helps.

Lancelot

You should always use a vacuümcleaner and a soft brush to clean your fans, otherwise dust is going to be wiped or blown into the bearings and motor housing....

OP
N

Networker

Disabled
ok guys thanks for the advise another thing the type of fan i have iS called Ball COOLER MASTER its made by CE backwards R and U put together. Ok i well i peeled the sticker and well i see the bearing and it turns just fine when i move the blades by hand they turn fine and bearing turns fine, what next?

Paxmax

Well, I'm kinda out of fresh ideas. Try running it on lower voltage, does it stutter worse or maybe it doesn't run at all?
Maybe the fan drive unit/inductor is damaged...
I haven't tried to repair that, so I don't know what to expect.

/Paxmax

Maximouse

Networker said:
ok guys thanks for the advise another thing the type of fan i have iS called Ball COOLER MASTER its made by CE backwards R and U put together. Ok i well i peeled the sticker and well i see the bearing and it turns just fine when i move the blades by hand they turn fine and bearing turns fine, what next?

Test it in another rig but off of the heatsink to see if it runs quiet. Like it was suggested earlier you may have tightened it too much when scewing it on the HS.

Paxmax

yeah, thats a good idea, run it on another PS or something.
Do remember that a fan is alway less noisy when you hold it in your hand, compared to mounted ridgidly into a heatsink/comp.
We still haven't gotten enough info about the "noise" it makes.
Squeaks, chirps, whistles, scrathing, snaps, you get the idea?
:eh?:

OP
N

Networker

Disabled
GUYS I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!! all it was is the bearing on the fan needed to be oiled thats it!!!!!!! works like a charm and man does it ever spin alot faster!!!!!! to all of you out their that have problems with the fan making noise or not spinning to its optium speed lube the bearing with oil and presto it works!!!!!!

Paxmax

Ok, good. Oil. But, if I were you I'd watch that fan really close for the next year. When that oil evaporates/dries out you have to be there again. Once the bearing get bad, it will be bad for the rest of eternity. Oil will fill the viod for now, but it will be pushed away, dry out or whatever, and when that happens you are back to square one...
Yeah it sounds so negative, I know, but don't loose a cpu because you know you might have a bad bearing. Put it on some kind of secondary cooling like case cooling instead, less critical.

Good luck :beer: /Paxmax