• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing a partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enticle

I'm trying to remove a partition on windows xp, but it is a boot drive so I can't remove the partition. I tried to uninstall windows xp on it because it is also installed on the main drive, but it doesn't allow me too. It also isn't in the list of add/remove programs.

I'm wondering how to uninstall windows xp. I checked a bunch of sites and they all say the same thing, it should be in the list of programs to uninstall and if not I need to try to install another version of windows to get rid of it. But I can't do either.

Also is it possible to force the remove of the partition? I tried to search for something but found nothing.

Thanks.

johnz

Before you do anything, backup all the data on the drive you don't want to lose. Then download the Gparted live CD...

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Use that to remove the partition you don't want, and extend another partition in it's place. After that, you'll have to edit boot.ini to get rid of the XP partition that's no longer there, or perform a fixmbr to reinstall a bootloader if the one you were using was on the deleted partition.