• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing case fan grills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I have been experimenting with removing the fan covers in my case (OEM metal honeycome style grill) and comparing temperatures:

OCCT PSU Test (Linpack and OCCT GPU tests combined) - 1 hour
Both grills: 59c
Rear grill removed: 57c
Front and Rear grill removed: 55.5c

I am amazed at what a difference this made, and it was free, apart from a blister!

muddocktor

Retired
Yeah, you don't realize just how much those cheesegrater grills they stamp in cases hinder airflow until you cut them out. And another bonus to removing them is that you have a quieter case too, since those built-in grills cause a lot more flow noise than a wire fan grill.

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

I have just re-run my benchmark tests (see signature) and they completed 5c lower than before, although the idle temp was 1c higher.

And yeah it certainly cuts down on fan noise - I think I might have my perfect setup now!

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

re: wire fan grills - I haven't fitted those, I am relying on the front mesh part of the case to protect the front fan, and have left the rear one open to the elements, I just have to remember its like that if I blindly plug a cable in the back! :bang head

muddocktor

Retired
You really need to get you some wire grills on your next order for anything so you can protect your fan (and fingers). The wire grills add a negligible amount of restriction and will save your digits from hurt.:cry::eek:

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

Ooh I know the pain, I tried to feel the base of my CPU cooler while it was running, and slipped a little and caught my finger in the fan at full speed - OUCH! Took a nice little slice of skin!

I am on strong painkillers anyway, and it still hurt!

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

My ghetto/bodge job of removing fan grills - will be tidied soon:

Rear: Split CAT5 cable to protect the edges
IMG_0030.jpg

Front: Had to cut round the power / HDD LEDs and power / reset switch mount:
IMG_0031.jpg

Bobnova

That's an amazing difference!
I didn't notice a temp difference when i did mine in my previous case, but it got way quiter.
Course i also sliced myself pretty nicely on the sharp edges.

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

The amount of dust trapped in the dust filters has improved massively too!

I cleaned it all up today when fitting new soundcard, and there was more dust in the filters after about a week than had built up over 2 months!

Looks like regular cleaning will be needed!

I am also using PhenomMSRTweaker to act like the standard AMD Cool'N'Quiet as this is turned off as soon as you overclock. I have this set to reduce the multiplier to x4 and voltage to about 0.8v (as per stock CNQ) when it isn't needed, this has reduced my idle temp to as low as 21c! In normal use there is no noticable delay when switching back to full speed/voltage when you open an application etc - so its win win!

Bobnova

No delay is nice! I found CnQ to not deactivate in XP for single threaded apps on my dads 810 x4, that was the end of it for me :p