• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing/Changing heatshields ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiz4rd

I bought 2x512 of that pc3200 from hordcorecooling.us .... stuff does ddr400 so I'm happy. But I found a good buy on some corsair pc3200 Cas2 and bought 2x512. I got the corsair and it has these black heatshields on it, the ram from hardcorecooling has gold ones on it which look killer in my case. I want to know if I can swap heat spreaders without damaging the ram. I have never tried to remove them before.

I could careless about voiding the warranty as all 4 chips are good, tried and tested.

I would appriciate some input as to know if you can do it and if so, are there any dangers involved.

killer7

Yeah you can, just be careful, all clamps are different. As I remember the Corsairs are simple to take off. Also yes, this will void your warrenty, but technically it is anyway if you are running DDR400 unless you have a new Intel Canterwood chipset.

Rio71

yes, be carefull and removing the hs slowly.
you can heating up the stick for softening the sticky TIM.

corsair-cooler-ebay.jpg

corsair-ohne-ihs.jpg

Fast420A

<--- Wishes he could go in the For Sale section...

Are you going to be selling the ram that you remove the spreader from if it still works?