• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing epoxied HS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I have a 7200... lol and wanted to take of the HS to put a bigger one on. So I can totally shatter the couple peeps who beat my top 3dmark score. Uhh... I'm guessing it's epoxied. Anyhopes of getting it off kinda safely?

Rocko[DPC]

Hughhefner said:
I put my Epox mobo in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for 30 min. to get it all cold, the Epoxied heatsinks on the NB and SB came off a bit easier.

Yup. Epoxy gets brittle when its cold. Get it nice and cold, then gently twist it back and forth a bit. If twisting doesnt work, slide a credit card under a corner and pry it up a little bit, then twist some more. If you have enough room on the card and a good angle, pry a razor blade between the heatsink and chip.

OP
DeathONator

DeathONator

After freezing I used a flat head screw driver, with a slight twist. Came off easily enough. Now to decide what to put on it.