• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing internet exploror history for a user on a college network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marley

I was wondering what happens to ie5. internet history on my college network..is it possible to remove sites from my user profile on it, would they still be visable on the server (it might sound like i have something to hide but i havent and its actually for a good cause).

i dont really know but i would guess that they have a record themselfs... maybe not of who but that it was accessed.. dont really know thats just a guess.. i wanna know:D

Yeah...I worked for pc support at our school for a little bit...knew one of the system admins...and yes, it is VERY easy for them to check out what you're downloading, what pages you're looking at, etc, and quite often they log user activity dating back a bit...so if they see excess usage of downloading things like *hot xxx ******_divx.avi* they'll either cap your download speeds or send you a nice little message.

As for localized history on the computer itself...thats usually kept to a minimum, at least at our school. Internet history destroys itself at the end of the day, or at logout...and computers are re-imaged weekly...if not more than that.

Depending on the security settings you sometimes will be able to manually delete the files in IE but yeah...theres still always the system admin :)

Its always a good idea to clear history and cookies if you can though...especially if you're ebaying, banking, or even checking email, though the former two I'd stick to doing at home.

Back