• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Linux fdisk /mbr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just shoot

I have linux on a box in a dual boot with win98se. I've done a search for removing linux and got most of my questions answered. My last one is if I would like to remove linux and leave win98se, Will I totally lose everthing with the fdisk /mbr or just the Master boot record? Can just the Lilo be removed and save all the data, or would it be better just to remove the boot options in linux prior to removing it so that the only option is to boot into windows?

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
Use delpart.exe to remove the Linux partion. Just do a search at Microsoft or Yahoo to find it. If you have an old NT disk it should be on their. I think that'll solve your problem, just delete the Linux partion.

PolyPill

fdisk /mbr wont touch your partitions, it'll just over write the boot record, ie LILO. Use any partition program to remove the linux partition.