• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing reservoir and getting inline pump good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rugby

King of Cats Senior
I've currently got the becooling reservoir/rio180 combination in my cooling setup but the reservoir is aluminum and everything else is copper. Now, if I get an eheim 1048 inline pump and replace the entire reservoir and pump with this will I have any cooling problems? Does the lack of reservoir raise temps or is this doable? Has anyone tried this?

You might want to have a reservoir regardless of whether your pump is inline or not as it is prudent to have like a 'safety buffer' of water supply should water be lost in anyway over time. Even a couple or litres should be enough. In some setups where the reservoirs hold immense amounts of water (20-40 litres), the max. temperature of a CPU at full load can be delayed for up to hours, as the water itself stores the waste heat.

it would be a good idea to use the res with an inline pump
the pump generates it's own heat
get that heat out of the water!!!

Welcome to the forum, fresh2000!
FYI, water cannot get rid of heat by itself but it can store some heat till it is saturated. So having lots and lots of water does not help to get rid of heat unless you have a radiator or bong. A watercooling rig MUST have a radiator or bong.

I'm thinking I should get a reservoir to have that "water buffer" just in case. I'll get the pump first and see what happens and then add a reservoir later. Thanks.

rugby (Jul 27, 2001 07:10 a.m.):
I'm thinking I should get a reservoir to have that "water buffer" just in case. I'll get the pump first and see what happens and then add a reservoir later. Thanks.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you (going from Rio 180 w/reservoir to Eheim 1250), and I've decided to use a reservoir. My reason for using a reservoir isn't to lower temperatures, but to avoid having to set up a fill tube in the case and to make the fill/drain procedure easier.

I've already tried this with a Danner Mag 7 pump and it worked fine except for the *@#(@!% leaky-*** Danner pump.

I feel your pain, and I can honestly say this is one of those times when I feel profanity is appropriate. :) I know that "darnit" wasn't the first thing that came to my mind. It wouldn't have been so bad if I had known to expect it, but I had read on more than one occasion how "great" the danner mag drives were - inline. Well, needless to say, I disagree emphatically. There are much better alternatives out there. (Ones that don't require disassembly, sealing, and reassembly.

My advice for people stuck with danners is to either submerge or build that pond your wife always thought would look nice in the garden.

Flash (Jul 27, 2001 07:46 a.m.):
rugby (Jul 27, 2001 07:10 a.m.):

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you (going from Rio 180 w/reservoir to Eheim 1250), and I've decided to use a reservoir. My reason for using a reservoir isn't to lower temperatures, but to avoid having to set up a fill tube in the case and to make the fill/drain procedure easier.

I've already tried this with a Danner Mag 7 pump and it worked fine except for the *@#(@!% leaky-*** Danner pump.

hehehe....I'm sure my cats would LOVE a pond in my office. always wondered if I could somehow hook up my homedics waterfall to my watercooling rig...hmmm......

There you go. Throw a few aglae eater fish in the pond. Before you know it you'll have a little circle of life going on. Keep the fish screened off from the cats and when they breed (fish) you can let a few out and the cats will be happy as well.

rugby (Jul 27, 2001 09:34 a.m.):
hehehe....I'm sure my cats would LOVE a pond in my office. always wondered if I could somehow hook up my homedics waterfall to my watercooling rig...hmmm......

I like the pond idea, but first I think I'll see if I can get my $$ back.

On a more serious note, it's occurred to me that those of us with pets need to be pretty careful about ensuring a leak-free rig, assuming that you use anti-freeze and/or water wetter in your system. Dog's will drink antifreeze because for some reason they're attracted to the smell and like the taste, and even a small amount of antifreeze will kill or seriously injure even a large dog.

Danner pump problems seem to be the rage right now. Perhaps this is because so many more people are using them. Danners just require you to be a little more carefull than an Ehiem with a metal impeller housing. Trust me, I made all the booboos and have learned how to use a Danner without any problems.

Back on topic. The best reason for a reservoir is to make for easy bleading and filling. Putting it above the rest of the plumbing will aid in fast self bleading. Any inline system I build with a radiator includes a reservoir at the top of the case.

Thanks for the response Colin and everyone else. Here's my idea:

Get the 4x4x4 electrical junction weather proof box from home depot and attach the 3/8" barbs on opposite sides. The right side would be higher because the radiator (becooling) has it's outlet high up. The outlet on the reservoir would go to the eheim pump and would be lower on the left side. I would seal around the barbs and go from there. I have a midtower atx case so keeping the reservoir higher up really isn't an option until I get a new case.

That sounds good to me. You can force tap the barbs and they will probably not leak. A coat of epoxy around the outside of the box where the barb is mounted would be a good idea. Don't use 5 minute epoxy as it's only water resistant.

One more idea for you. You may want to add a fill spout and even a temp sensor to the reservoir. Here is a pic of the reservoir in my box.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=42541073[/URL]"]

Hey Colin,

what sorta fancy reservoir is that?

Just wondering, cause I'm not really happy with my current reservoir (hose T'd) - and I'm basically running the same setup cube above the PS as you are.

It's a 4*4*2 electrical junction box. I had to cut about 3/8" out of it to get it to fit on top of the Cooling Cube and clear the top of my case/

I went to get the 4x4x4 junction box at home depot yesterday and they don't carry it. I found a salesman who looked it up in the computer an found out that their intended us in my county is illegal therefore they don't sell them. I can't imagine this getting any more of a PITA so I ask which Home Depot has one, and now I get to drive 30 minutes to get one. I still haven't even gotten the pump yet.

Hey don't feel so bad, I have to drive for 30 minutes just to go to the hardware store!

That's true. I'm going today to get it. Thanks for all your help and I'll let everyone know how my temps turn out!

Back