• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rennovated T61 drops WiFi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The same as other machines. 12 up, .73 down which is Century Link DSL spec for our neighborhood.

The same as other machines. 12 up, .73 down which is Century Link DSL spec for our neighborhood.

I feel for ya man! Many of my customers have that slow Centurylink DSL. Do you live in a rural area?

When I retired and we moved here from South Fl in '99 Qwest offered dialup only. Soon after they had fiber within ~1/4 mile but it took a couple of local guys to dream up a way of getting fiber to the area without Qwest having to do anything but say yes and take money. From what I gather this local infrastructure will never support a greater speed. We're in the horse country outer environs Evergreen, a mountain town west of Denver. Closer in to town you can get higher DSL from CL and similar from Comast. Considering I started with a 200 Baud modem, I'm not complaining ;-).

Mark

I used to live in the Denver area. I know very well where Evergreen is. I used to attend a little church in Bergen Park.

Is that the old wooden church close to Vitamin Cottage, a liquor store and around the corner from King Soopers?

That doesn't sound right but it was almost forty years ago. It was just a small independent community church at that time and if my memory serves me correctly it was a little brick, ranch style building. It may not even exist anymore. The area could have changed dramatically in 40 years. At the time I was living in in Morrison or maybe Littleton. I was a student attending a Christian college that was near the Red Rocks at the bottom of the Hogback ridge. The school is not there anymore, I do know that.

Last edited:
Such a structure is no more. I doubled checked Bergen today. The closest, and there's no brick, in terms of age in Bergen Park would the attached building that used to be a church but they built new next door and what has been the The Whippletree Restaurant.

Sorry bub, but times doeth its thing ;-)

Church.jpg

Yeah, that's it. I recognize the stained glass pattern in the front wall of the sanctuary. Looks like the lawn could use a little attention.

Hey, thanks for the pic. It's a little stroll down memory lane.

What took you from Florida to the Evergreen, CO area anyway?

'Your' church sold the structure to a local artists group and built a new building on the corner of CO 74.

After growing up in Miami and starting a construction company as the only carpenter then getting fed up with the heat, humidity, hurricane threat, traffic, unfriendliness, Spanish, litigious climate...I said to my wife 'I've had it'. For the sake of my sanity, I will close the company (www.greenbergcm.com) and we're getting the h*ll out of Dodge. She grew up in Wichita and didn't want to go back to tornadoes so we set out to find a place that didn't have hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. A small town close to large one and a welcoming spirit. That left NM, NV, UT, CO, WY MT, AZ. We spent 3 weeks driving and by serendipity found our home :)

Attachments

• New Church.jpg
    New Church.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes, I loved that semi arid climate. Probably the best climate of all the regions I have lived in. I moved there from Virginia and I will never forget the first time after getting out of the shower I wasn't wet again before I could get my clothes on! But it had some quirks. 70 degree days in January sometimes and 18" of snow in late September and early May some years.

Thanks for the pic of the new church. I would imagine everyone I used to know from the original congregation is dead now or almost so. There was almost no one under 40 in the congregation.

Back