• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repasting my Sapphire Pulse 5700XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rev_Night

Registered
I am interested in delidding my cpu, and while researching, I came across people doing the same thing (roughly) to their GPUs. The term - new to me - is called repasting, and its about removing the OEM paste between gpu die and cooler and replacing it with something better. Performance is around 10C improvement. But I'm having trouble finding threads by people who have done it to their 5700XTs. Does this brand of GPU not need it? Are there no pastes available? My temps right now are fine, especially since I undervolt/underclock it, and have AMD Chill on (90-120fps). Still, I wouldn't mind this being totally silent, thus the interest.

Anyone had any experience with this?

This procedure is usually done on cards that are past their warranty period, or were used for a few years. You didn't find a lot of info about it because 5700XT is a relatively new card, so there's no point in doing it yet.
The idea behind GPU repasting is that after a few years of use, the thermal paste can dry out, maybe oxidize a bit, maybe slowly slip out. In that case you can maybe gain the 10c you talk about. Between "fresh" pastes, the difference is going to be 5c MAX from the worst paste to best.
Delidding is not exactly the right comparison here. The process is maybe a bit similar, but the temp difference won't be as significant. With Intel, you don't get variations of the same model. There's no "EVGA 8700k" or "Aorus 8700k". People are going to buy the model they want because they have no alternative. With GPUs that's a different story, and reviewers always compare things like thermals and noise between different brands. So on GPUs they won't use the most expensive thermal paste around, but they use something that's good enough.
If your card is still under warranty, and it runs cool without issues, then don't bother changing thermal paste. Whenever I see a used GPU with the line "Thermal paste was changed recently" then I know that most likely the seller has an overheating GPU, and he tried different methods that didn't resolve the issue and he can't use the warranty. The procedure itself is safe, but it's still a procedure. You never know what can potentially happen when you unplug your PC, remove card from PCI-E socket, take apart some fan or LED connectors inside the GPU, loosen the thermal pads, etc.

I (partially) agree with yoadknux. If it runs cool, don't even bother.

But sometimes, factory job is really messy, and some cards overheat "out of the box". In this case, yes, temps will drop by a good 5c.

I usually do it even before mounting the card. All my GPU's have been re TIM'ed ,and none of them ever overheat (most of them being under water).

As said on the post above, it is not a complex process, but still, you have to be careful.

Gotcha, thanks all. And it does make sense now too, because when I was doing more research, i noticed that the only people doing these for 5700xts were for the Reference (blower) type cards. Ok, one less project to do.

Ive always replaced the stock paste on everything possible (gpu and mb chipset, both desktop and laptop) prior to ever turning the new gear on. The quality of the paste manufacturers use today is rarely of such poor quality that it requires it. Rather the quantity used is generally the issue. There is no reason not to replace tim. Its easy and will give you a bit of experience if you ever need to troubleshoot high temps. Warranty issues are a moot point being that the manufacturer will have no idea you replaced the tim. So grab a tube of the highest quality paste you can afford/justify, take your time and do it up.

Ive always replaced the stock paste on everything possible (gpu and mb chipset, both desktop and laptop) prior to ever turning the new gear on. The quality of the paste manufacturers use today is rarely of such poor quality that it requires it. Rather the quantity used is generally the issue. There is no reason not to replace tim. Its easy and will give you a bit of experience if you ever need to troubleshoot high temps. Warranty issues are a moot point being that the manufacturer will have no idea you replaced the tim. So grab a tube of the highest quality paste you can afford/justify, take your time and do it up.

Regarding warranty, yes and no. Some vicious manufacturers put a stickers seal type one one of the hsf screw to... Screw the warranty.

Back