• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement Power supply suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jhatfie

Looking to replace my 24/7 utilized 5+ year old OCZ 520W on my son's computer as I am doing a computer refresh for myself. So he will get my current Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W and I am looking to update the PSU on my computer.

Going with a i5 build and keeping my HD4890 for now, but plan to go the crossfire route here before to long once the 5800 series cards drop in price some, so want around 700W to be on the safe side for maximum efficiency. Hoping to keep it in the $100 range.

Looking at the:
Seasonic 750W S12D at $99
Antec TP-750 Truepower New 750W at $95
Silverstone Element 750W $60 AR

Silverstone used to make super solid PSU's however I am not sure these days as reviews for the Element series appear to be a bit mixed, but the 750W reviews appear to be solid, but $60 is a great price thus why I am considering it. Was also looking at the Corsair TX750, but I believe that the newer Seasonic and Antec are slightly better units based on what I have read.

Leaning toward the Antec Truepower New 750w at the moment based on the reviews I have read.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/766
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=140

I honestly do not think the Antec is better than the Seasonic, since it is actually made by Seasonic. If anything the performance is most likely very similar with the Seasonic getting the nod in power efficiency based on it's silver versus bronze certification, but with the Antec I get less wiring to worry about with the 1/2 modular design and I save a couple $.

Looking to replace my 24/7 utilized 5+ year old OCZ 520W on my son's computer as I am doing a computer refresh for myself. So he will get my current Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W and I am looking to update the PSU on my computer.

Going with a i5 build and keeping my HD4890 for now, but plan to go the crossfire route here before to long once the 5800 series cards drop in price some, so want around 700W to be on the safe side for maximum efficiency. Hoping to keep it in the $100 range.

Looking at the:
Seasonic 750W S12D at $99
Antec TP-750 Truepower New 750W at $95
Silverstone Element 750W $60 AR

Silverstone used to make super solid PSU's however I am not sure these days as reviews for the Element series appear to be a bit mixed, but the 750W reviews appear to be solid, but $60 is a great price thus why I am considering it. Was also looking at the Corsair TX750, but I believe that the newer Seasonic and Antec are slightly better units based on what I have read.

Assuming you have read the sticky in our power supply section here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

All are linked to reviews.

It should give you a more than fair idea what quality is available. I refreshed my memory on OW's Silverstone tests and yes, some of those Silverstones leave much to be desired. Keep in mind that running any high end cards SLI should be enough to prompt someone to pay whatever it costs to get a top tier power supply. They cost a lot less than two high end video cards. Modulars are probably not required for high-end SLI, you'll use all the connectors anyhow.

Back