• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing explorer.exe on Windows Thin PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigair360x

I'm working in a corporate environment where we are trying to lock down the local computers a bit. These are Windows thin pc systems that are ONLY used to access Vmware virtual machines. I replaced explorer.exe with vmware.exe on a test machine so that windows boots to the VMware client without loading taskbar, desktop, etc etc. It works perfect on a desktop computer that is hard wired to the network. The problem is, some of our clients take their laptops home at night and need to connect to random wireless networks. I included ncpa.cpl in the bootup sequence so that networking options are displayed but alas, it appears that the wireless box that shows available wireless networks is a function of explorer.exe

Does anyone have any ideas to connect to wireless without explorer.exe running? I know I can connect to a specific wireless netword through a command line, but I need users to be able to choose from a list like we are all familiar with.

I appreciate any help and ideas. Thank you!

Back