• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing stock Northbridge cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agrosjean

I recently purchased an Asus P4P800 motherboard and I wish to replace the stock Northbridge cooling heatsink/fan. I bought a Thermaltake Tiger 1 cooling fan, but I have a question about removing the existing heatsink/fan. If anyone has done this before, can you tell me if there is a wax piece or some other material that bonds the heatsink/fan to the actual Northbridge unit? I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into before I actually start ripping it apart.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Rashio_UK

yeah i am thinking about changing the nb as well, i am going to upgrade the heatsink soon but i just want to change the thermal paste first and i want to know what is bonding the heatsink to the chipset? and how do u get rid of it?

OP
A

agrosjean

That's exactly what info I'm looking for. What's it attached with currently and how do I get rid of it without breaking the underlying chip.

tio

There's a thin thermal pad between the NB heatsink and the NB die. All you have to do is unhook the clips on the NB heatsink and slowly pull the heatsink off of the chip. As long as you're carefull, you won't have a problem.

Rashio_UK

well i got rid of the pink stuff that was on teh nb and applied some as3 instead, thanks ;)

now i am after a nb cooler for my p4c800 now i have seen the tiger 1 but that is not meant to be that good so i want some thing else but i dont know what else there is, so could some1 help me?

thanks

tio

IMO, the best aftermarket chipset cooler out there right now is the Swiftech MCX 159P. You can see a pic of it here.

LastOneIn

i ended up using a small P3 cpu cooler i found for $6. cheap but effective.

Attachments

• dsc01887 (small).jpg
    dsc01887 (small).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 126

simpleman

i bought a thermaltake blue orb at newegg for $6.99 it is made for a video card
but works great. if the pins don't line up it has a thermal pad so it'll fit anything.
and the swap was really easy.

Jarlax

invisible hand said:
What type of gains can be had by providing better cooling for the Northbridge?

The Jury is still out on this one. Some say that the Northbridge can get too hot and hold back an overclock or get too hot and cause problems with data transfer.

Others say that it does not heat up enough to matter and cooling it will make no difference. But I go with this camp of thought...

After running Prime95 for a couple hours feel around some of the parts in your PC, are they too hot to touch...then cool them! It can't hurt you.

Last edited:

tio

If you're running a 200 MHz MHz (+) FSB P4 system, the northbridge gets warmer than on an AMD-based motherboard. Cooling it on a newer P4 motherboard will most likely provide benefits, like being able to overclock higher.

Mr Gadget

Registered
From what I have read in various hardware forums it looks like NB active cooling helps if you are running your FSB in the 270 to 300+ range. I think the MB temp in the hardware monitor reports the NB temp. If it is much above 40C when your room temp is around 25-27C then active cooling should help.

coughman

Registered
I just stuck a sunon 40mm fan on top of the stock nb. The temp is definitely lower but I am not sure how much it helps my overclock. Now my nb is running at 32C when the system is stressed. I'm happy enough. ;)