• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing vid chip in laptop: possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Datoyminaytah

Does anyone know if mobile video chips have a standard size and pinout that could theoretically allow one kind of chip to be replaced with another? Or are they so proprietary that the laptop motherboard has to be designed around them?

I realize it would probably be near impossible to desolder/resolder the connections without specialized equipment, I just want to know if it's possible.

mordy

I guess if you have the special equipment and skills you can swap the chip to next stepping, but no more than that. Different graphic chips has different pinout.

moorcito

I think that might depend on the laptop. I'm working of a Dell Inspiron 8100, right now, and it has a GeForce2 Go as the video card. From the documentation, you can replace the vid card, and from the website you can get this laptop with either a Geforce2 go, or a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, so I would assume that the two are interchangeable.

WildArmSX

I would like to inform you that it is very unlikely for you to be able to swap vid chip/card on a laptop. This Video Card is intergrated on to the Motherboard so unless you want to get another mother board it is not possible. Quite simply there is not enough room to have it separtely