• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Report: Haswell-E will be 8 core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/In...Eight-Cores-Wellsburg,23106.html#xtor=RSS-181

Intel just announced its Ivy Bridge successor, Haswell, a couple of weeks ago at Computex 2013 in Taipei. However, leaked information regarding Haswell-E has us excited for 2014.

0wNcdLc.jpg

According to leaked information obtained by VR-Zone, Intel will offer an eight-core CPU in its Haswell-E lineup expected in the second half of next year. According to VR-Zone, Haswell-E will see Intel move away from four-core configurations of GPU-less dies and offer a choice of six- and eight-core CPUs with up to 20 MB of L3 cache. Maximum TDP for these 22nm Hi-k processors is said to be in the range of 130W and 140W. Haswell-E will apparently also bring support for DDR4 as well as Intel's new Wellsburg mobo chipsets. Wellsburg in turn will support up to six USB 3.0 ports, up to eight USB 2.0 ports, up to 10 SATA 6 Gbps ports, Integrated Clock support, and a TDP of 6.5W.

Beyond Haswell-E, rumor has it we can expect the 14nm Broadwell in 2015, which will then give way to Skylake.

just like the current gen z67/z77 vs x79 , most users will still be better of staying with the lower chipset . My z87 will do more that I need

If there will be 8 core then price will be really high so almost noone will buy it anyway. It's probably also designed for new chipset and DDR4. Since there is integrated memory controller then I don't know if standard 2011 boards are going to support these cpus. But that's for 2014 and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel delays it again ( or find some bugs like in any other series in last couple of years :p )

One good thing is unlocked 4820K CPU which will be for sure popular.

Time will tell if this is right or wrong of course. VR-Zone does have a decent record but has been wrong before. Every other site that I've seen quotes VR-Zone as their source. To me it doesn't make sense that Haswell-E would have DDR4 if Haswell itself does not. The enthusiast platform so far has been Xeons with cores disabled. To me that brings forth four possibilities:

1. They're bringing DDR4 to the server environment. Possible but unlikely.
2. Haswell-E is designed from the ground up to be part of the enthusiast platform and will be the first to support DDR4 - also possible but also unlikely. It does say in the "leak" that it is the first but that would mean it's the first of its kind.
3. This is actually Broadwell-E. I feel this is the most likely. It would make sense to launch other processors capable of DDR4. That way there's enough demand to encourage companies to start and then increase production of DDR4.
4. This is complete and utter bullcrap from John the forum troll.

As I said though we shall see but I think choice 3 is most likely. As a sidenote the author on his facebook posted "Troll life — feeling sad." a couple of days after he made his freelance post on VR-Zone. He also likes iOS 7. Credible source? ;)

Last edited:
DDR4 is coming to servers late this year according to my meeting with Micron.

Not if it's DDR4.
I doubt it will be anyway. That'd be three CPU generations on one socket, way over the limit for Intel these days.

DDR4 is coming to servers late this year according to my meeting with Micron.

Hmmm... interesting.

I assume that Haswell-E will not be on s2011?

Supposedly it will be on socket 2011-3 (different dimensions when compared to 2011) though it doesn't make sense to me why they would call it such a confusing name. Either false rumour or codename? We shall see.

Last edited:
Back