• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting help: Gigabyte GTX 760 artifacts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deodric

Greetings, OC.

Short of 2 months ago, I got myself a new Gigabyte GTX 760 which started out working just lovely. However, a few days ago, extreme graphical issues in basically every game emerged.

I believe these are called artifacts, and attached is a short video of the issue in action:

No overclocking performed by myself on the card whatsoever, and I'm hardly running any heavy games right now. Card peaking at 63C according to GPU-Z with fans running at 46% when the artifacts are showing, so I'd doubt its a overheating problem.

Strangely enough, the artifacts tends to come and go every few minutes, hence something feels periodically unstable. They also emerge 100% of every time I tab in and out of a game. From what I see when comparing the numbers from GPU-Z to what I see on the screen, the GPU load without artifacts is averaging out at roughly 50%, while with artifacts it sits at 33-40%. Could this imply anything?

Similarly, the GPU core clock is fixed at 1084.4 MHz whenever there's artifacts present, while at any lower value it works as it should. Apparently, the factory default clock speed is also 1085 MHz (base).

Even when sitting idle at desktop, peaks which would bring about the artifacts should a game be running occur, as marked in the image.

uN17BDz.png

The card should still have a warranty but I'd like to know what my options are before sending it away for an eternity to have it checked. What would be the most probable cause for this?

Misc. specs:
Intel Core i5-3570K
16 GB RAM
Corsair TX 750W
Windows 7 Ultimate

TL;DR: Can deliberately underclocking a factory default GPU fix artifacts or should it be returned to the retailer?

Open MSI Afterburner to the Settings page, and enable Voltage Control and Voltage Monitoring. Before bumping the VDDC (Core voltage), try increasing the power limit to ~145%. If you still see artifacts, then bump the VDDC one step at a time.

Yes, those would be artifacts.

Lowering the GPU clock (or possibly memory clock) might help, but you shouldn't have to do that to get it to run stable without the artifacts.

You may want to contact the manufacturer about this if still under warranty (which I would assume it is).

Back