• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

require help with OC Ram on Asus Tuf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thom.15

Hello,

I am not an overclocker in anyway but have a little computer hardware knowledge (emphasize little)

I recently purchased (relevant stuff)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz Processor - Socket AM4 - Hexa-Core (6 Core) - 12 Threads - 32MB L3 Cache - 3MB L2 Cache - 65W TDP - 4.2GHz Max Turbo
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, updated BIOS to latest version
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

The default for the RAM is DDR4 2133 and the system runs fine at that speed (no random reboots when under full stress test)

Looking to get the RAM to 3600 or 3733 or even 3800.
I enable d.c.o.p and choose profile 1, the RAM settings as advertised, 3600, 16, 19, 19, 39 at 1.2v (felt this was low). When the system was stressed it would randomly reboot.
Did a bunch of reading and saw people had success with stabilizing the RAM with the following settings (and I reviewed what was enabled by the DCOP settings so I knew which ones to change)
16-19-19-19-39 (to match what the DCOP profile did) Clock to 3733mhz, fabric 1866mhz and voltage to 1.4 (on this motherboard I choose DRAM voltage). No go, under stress it rebooted.
16-19-19-19-39 (to match what the DCOP profile did) Clock to 3800mhz, fabric 1833mhz and voltage to 1.4 (on this motherboard I choose DRAM voltage). No go, wouldnt even boot.

Looking for those with more knowledge to guide me. There are sooooo many options when you go into the BIOS and choose to tweak, I suspect Im missing something.
Please be clear with your explanation, I am new to this and dont understand a lot of the options.

Thanks
Thom

Set xmp/docp and manually set the voltage to whatever it is supposed to be. I dont see you reaching much past 3600 with 32gb and running 1:1 with fclk... best just to get 3600 stable.

Last edited:
yeah you're changing multiple variables at once before even getting stable: recipe for trouble. Do what EarthDog said and just use XMP speeds / timings and change voltage. You probably won't even need 1.4v. Keep fabric 1:1. If that doesn't work try the same timings at 3200MHz, should pass easily if not you have bigger fish to fry.

FYI if you're not benching there's no point in getting your ram over 3600Mhz. The difference between 3200MHz and 3600MHz is like 1% fps in most games, beyond that the returns diminish further. You state you're not an overclocker, but you want a bad boy memory OC. Either need to hit the books or re-evaluate your goals. Hopefully we can turn you into one though. ;) Part of being a good overclocker is knowing where to cash in your effort to reach your desired goals for a given task, rather than just shooting every clock for the moon.

If you're bound set on increasing memory speed, you may need to increase SOC voltage a bit, but I don't have a good background with Zen2. Not many people are reporting this difficulty like Zen and Zen+ which essentially required SOC voltage to OC memory. So you'll need to seek advice from other posters or do further research if you want to go that route.

How do you stress test? Specific tests are needed to verify memory stability. A lot of people here use AIDA64, although I use prime95. To test memory in prime95 you need to set "blend" and then you need to click on "custom" and change the memory usage to about 29,000MB.

I'm assuming the CPU is not overclocked? I can tell you a moderate CPU overclock will get you a lot further than getting memory over 3200MHz, esp. gaming at 1080p. The 3600 is practically built for it. What CPU cooler are you using?

Hello,

I am not an overclocker in anyway but have a little computer hardware knowledge (emphasize little)

I recently purchased (relevant stuff)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz Processor - Socket AM4 - Hexa-Core (6 Core) - 12 Threads - 32MB L3 Cache - 3MB L2 Cache - 65W TDP - 4.2GHz Max Turbo
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, updated BIOS to latest version
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

The default for the RAM is DDR4 2133 and the system runs fine at that speed (no random reboots when under full stress test)

Looking to get the RAM to 3600 or 3733 or even 3800.
I enable d.c.o.p and choose profile 1, the RAM settings as advertised, 3600, 16, 19, 19, 39 at 1.2v (felt this was low). When the system was stressed it would randomly reboot.
Did a bunch of reading and saw people had success with stabilizing the RAM with the following settings (and I reviewed what was enabled by the DCOP settings so I knew which ones to change)
16-19-19-19-39 (to match what the DCOP profile did) Clock to 3733mhz, fabric 1866mhz and voltage to 1.4 (on this motherboard I choose DRAM voltage). No go, under stress it rebooted.
16-19-19-19-39 (to match what the DCOP profile did) Clock to 3800mhz, fabric 1833mhz and voltage to 1.4 (on this motherboard I choose DRAM voltage). No go, wouldnt even boot.

Looking for those with more knowledge to guide me. There are sooooo many options when you go into the BIOS and choose to tweak, I suspect Im missing something.
Please be clear with your explanation, I am new to this and dont understand a lot of the options.

Thanks
Thom

This memory is rated at 3600 16-19-19 1.35V, not 1.20V. It's based on Hynix C and will scale in pattern x-19-19-19 so 14-19-19, 15-19-19, 16-19-19, 17-19-19 ... at 3600-3800, depends on the voltage ... or x-20-20-20 as 16GB modules can be harder to OC.

It's not guaranteed that your CPU can make 3866-3900 1:1 IF. Max recommended is 3600 mem/1800 IF and the best is to keep it 1:1 (mem is DDR so x2).
There are no special voltages or anything else that will make it work much higher. Usually, it's the max of the CPU. These CPUs act a bit different than the 2k series so SOC etc is not really helping with IF clock. There is only FCLK voltage on ASUS which is sometimes helping a bit but not always.

If memory is stable at 3600/XMP and IF is already at 1800 then try the next step ... but you already said it's not stable. On ASUS you can try FCLK voltage (should be on the voltages list under the memory voltage) but I'm almost sure that the motherboard is adjusting that automatically. On my ASUS it works without manual adjustments. FCLK voltage has to be lower or equal to the CPU SOC voltage so when you set 1.2V SOC then you can set 1.15-1.20V FCLK and this is about max I would try.

There are no special voltages or anything else that will make it work much higher. Usually, it's the max of the CPU. These CPUs act a bit different than the 2k series so SOC etc is not really helping with IF clock. There is only FCLK voltage on ASUS which is sometimes helping a bit but not always....

Noted, thank you for clarifying.

Thanks everyone for the advice, nothing said has lost me so now its time to play. I'll put some time in this weekend.
My desired goal is to get the Ram STABLE at 3600, so ill set using the DCOP, then adjust (as noted above) until I can find a setting that will run Prime95 successfully.

Thanks again
PS I will post when I find success
Thom

Back