• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reservoir vs. T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

A reservoir can function instead of a radiator for extended periods of time if it's big enough (a few hours generally), but usually, the reservoir will just act as a bubble filter, with something like a foam block in the top, the outlet pipe being underneath the foam, and the inlet pipe being on top. There aren't any real advantages over a t piece as far as I can see, except it would tend to trap air better. The t piece though, is usually smaller than a reservior, so there's a benefit in that, although there are more joins and points where it could leak as well.

masitti

Trap air better?

They both get rid of the air in the system, it just takes a t-line a little longer. The difference is so little in fact, you won't even notice a difference in temps.

You most of the time use a reservoir when you have a submerged pump - other than that, a t-line will do the same thing, if not for cheaper as well. :)

SemiCycle

I've never had bubble problems with my res. It is a 6x6x4 junction box with the pump running sumerged. I have the water outlet leaving at the top of the res and the water returning to it on the side of the reservoir about 1.5" under the water level. A res doesn't automatically mean bubbles.

frostmeister

What I was saying is that a reservoir would get rid of bubbles better than a T piece - not that a T piece would cause bad temps, or that a reservoir would cause bubbles. I was assuming that the flow of water past a T piece would drag bubbles with the flow more than a reservoir where bubbles have a time to rise to the top and collect there. It's not like a T piece wouldn't perform the same job over time.

Warlord2

Ive used both and would like you say you are right on the bubbles draging on the T. but its not that bad really....it took about an hour for my system to finaly stop filtering out those bubbles, I even had my computer on when I was filtering them out. oh yea if the pump is above the T it makes it a LOT harder to get the bubbles out sense you have to basically tip the computer from side to side and turn the pump on and off in order to even get the pump the water lol.:D

if you use a resavoir your pump will help heat up the water and prolly give your rad a little more work but not much.

masitti

While the t-line is getting the bubbles out, you can still run the setup - in fact, you will prolly only see marginally better temps (at least that's what happened to me) after it bubbles out.

frostmeister

Throw me a bone here! :( It's all good. Use a T-piece and a reservoir! Seriously though, I haven't got a reservoir or a T piece, and my bubbles are doing just fine. Leave them alone :p

SemiCycle

frostmeister said:
What I was saying is that a reservoir would get rid of bubbles better than a T piece - not that a T piece would cause bad temps, or that a reservoir would cause bubbles. I was assuming that the flow of water past a T piece would drag bubbles with the flow more than a reservoir where bubbles have a time to rise to the top and collect there. It's not like a T piece wouldn't perform the same job over time.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I read your post completely wrong. :)

mfpmax

Took 3 days for the air to somewhat finishing bleeding out of my system. And its still going. This is a T setup.

I want to run a inline res setup like my old setup. Which means I won't be running the pump inside the res...mostly cause the res will just basically be a small tank in front of the pump, like the ones they sell for the Ehiem pumps.

frostmeister

I think I'd better give my bubbles a home to go to rather than having them out late at night circulating round my system causing trouble. I'm going to put a reservoir in :D No offence taken slipknot, and none intended :)

mfpmax

masitti said:
Wow... that's really odd that it takes so long to bubble out. Mine was done after about 20 minutes.

Its most likely several factors.

I noticed that the way my T is in my system is the way they used to do it back in "the day"...which is right before the inlet of the pump. The more recent setups i've seen have it on the outlet between the pump and radiator. But I couldn't do it like that.

SemiCycle

He is talking about these. You can get them HERE

Aluthumb.jpg

Plexithumb.jpg

tseongsun

I have a DangerDen one, I don't recommend it though. The intake is way too high and causes a jacuzzi effect and actually creates bubbles. The only way to get mine to work is to fill it to overflowing and then screw the cap down and even then it has trouble.

I'm thinking of either trying to find someone who has some spongy eheim filter left over or just goin to a T.

masitti

tseongsun said:
I have a DangerDen one, I don't recommend it though. The intake is way too high and causes a jacuzzi effect and actually creates bubbles. The only way to get mine to work is to fill it to overflowing and then screw the cap down and even then it has trouble.

I'm thinking of either trying to find someone who has some spongy eheim filter left over or just goin to a T.

I heard if you place a filter in front of it, it will help reduce this effect - maybe you have something through out the house that would work...

Toysrme

Well where are the guys that all tried inline(T) cooling with me at! LoL! Originally I had my setup outside of my case.(got it in college, away from home and no tools to mod) so the hoses were a little longer. My little Tupperware res really didn't help temperatures very much, and really just slowed the water down some, so I went with an inline setup. Temps dropped just a tad, I don't know if it was from:
A) less heat in the system because the Eheim 1250 wasn't submerged in the water
B) More flow rate(mine was probably much more sensitive at the time, because I was using some pretty long lines to get the radiator out of the dorm room window(winter in alabama, it aint 0 but it's cold!)

Either way.... to me an Inline setup is cheaper and easier to fill. As long as I cap the top of the T line (a thimble and some duct tape<grin>) I can run for about two months before the water has run down the line(1/ 2 inch line about 10/12 inches tall) because it needs a top me off. Heh I just look inside my window about once a week or so to see how far down it's gone. Eventually I'll make a gradient scale on in and figure out how long it takes to bleed dry.

Well good luck with whichever you choose!
Oh yeah, another drawback to inline style over a res is that later on you don't have the option of super cooling the res ='(