• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resetting CMOS fixed my problem...but it keeps coming back?? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

I have had a problem where my PC does everything slow. I can't even use it for the first minute.

I was on the phone with DELL customer support and they had me reset the CMOS like you guys suggested. IT WORKED!!! Thanks. The problem is now that every time I restart my PC, if I don't reset the CMOS in Bios, the problem comes back?

Is their any way to stop this from coming back or do I need to reset the CMOS every time I restart the PC?

I have a P4 3.06 533Mgz FSB
512 1066 RDRam
ATI 9700 Pro
120 GB 7200 RPM HD

InThrees

Ideally, you should NOT have to reset your CMOS every time. Call Dell and tell them you have to do it every time, and tell them you're pretty unhappy with that.

N

nerdlogic

Something seems to be either taking up your resources or your CPU cycles....
You can check all your system processes and see what's using what % of your CPU....you can also check the same thing with your resources, I'm not sure if you can check what program is taking it up, but you can check to see how much of your resources are being used...

tread70

there is something in the dell bios having to do with running the cpu as normal or compatibilty mode something like that if is set to compatability then is extremely slow it needs to set to normal. Sorry I dont remember the exact wording but I hope you get what I'm saying .

I can unhook my monitor and hook up the dell i have. If you dont get it let me know I'll hook it up(I really need a kvm or spare monitor).

Movax

Try running WCPUID when running full speed and then again when the system seems slow and compare. That will tell you if the system is running the FSB at the wrong speed for whatever reason.