• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[RESOLVED] How do I revive a bricked Surface Pro 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hi guys,

I got back from vacation and now my SP3 won't start. I left it connected to the PSU for a couple of days.

Symptoms:
  • No screen output (black screen).
  • Touch keyboard does not activate (no power?)
  • Power adapter light blinks when I reset.

My attempts at a revival:
  • Tired all power + volume button key combinations in every nook and cranny of the internet.
  • Let it "discharge" overnight and re-charge.
  • Tried 3 different power adapters.
  • Hard reset multiple times.

I don't want to send this in to MS and drop $400+ on something I can do by myself at home. One thread somewhere mentions freezing it for a couple of hours, but I am loath to try this. Another thread mentions heating it up with a hair-dryer. I think I'd have a better chance at replacing Andrew Luck, throwing a Hail Mary and getting the Colts to the playoffs than either of these suspicious methods working. So, my friends, help a fellow member out of this jam.

OP
Super Nade

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
I was going to send you to the Apple Store. :p

You had your chance! Too late now.:)
I'm open to Macs but, I run specialized lab SW (lots of legacy stuff) that are Windows only. Not worth the hassle looking for ways to get it working on a Mac.

Pinky

I'm open to Macs but, I run specialized lab SW (lots of legacy stuff) that are Windows only. Not worth the hassle looking for ways to get it working on a Mac.

Kidding aside, I really like the Surface. It might be the best hardware idea Microsoft has had. I've seen one (isolated?) instance of the tablet getting stuck, much in the way yours seems to be. It was new so went back and the replacement was fine. There's some results on google for this being relatively common. So while I like the Surface, the fact there's quality control issues for a premium priced product has had me looking elsewhere for myself and customers whenever possible.

Friends don't let friends go Mac. ;)