• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retail Quake3 in Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eli

I have the retail Quake 3 cd, and I was wondering if there is away of just "popping it in" and getting it to run under linux. I faintly recall someone telling me it's possible, and that all you had to do was activate some sort of command to get it to recognize.

Any help is much appreciated!

there is no way unless you run it under emulation. The binaries are compiled for windows not linux. The only way to play it nativly is to buy a linux version.

Darn!

Well, thanks for clearing that up for me... :)

The way I understand it, you can just download the latest linux point release and copy the pak files from your cd to play under linux. A quick google search turned up this site

Hope this helps.

No, srimmer is right.

You can install the Linux point release, and copy the paks from the Windows cd.

awesome! i'm going to try it... right after i get the Nvidia drivers first. Its very different from windows, thats for sure.

same with Unreal Tournament, you can d/l an installer for the binaries and use the resources from the disc

You can also buy the Q3 linux port and install it on a windows machine, like i did:p

Actually gave instructions on how to do it on the box... Got my copy at EB for $10.

The best thing to do would have been to just buy the Linux boxed Q3 in the first place. Thats what I did.

yea it "would" have been but you have to remeber that hes new to linux, so he probly didnt buy q3 with linux in mind...

tbirdkiri said:
yea it "would" have been but you have to remeber that hes new to linux, so he probly didnt buy q3 with linux in mind...

Right, I bought q3 way before I was even into computers... Which is wierd because it feels like forever.

Back