• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro usb game adapters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaredavidporter

Hey guys, I wanted to ask for suggestions for a USB adapter to use with an N64 controller. I'm mainly going to use it with the project64 emulator but I don't know if the adapter will even work with that program. I've found a couple online but the both have mixed customer reviews.

If anyone has some suggestions that would be great!

TheGreySpectre

I did all my N64 PC gaming with a converted xbox controller. That was really easy to convert as it is a wire to wire solder job. Xbox 360 controllers will plug right in to PCs though, that is what I would suggest.

I did not know they even made n64-usb adapters...not that I'm suprised, I just did not know they even existed.

OP
jaredavidporter

jaredavidporter

I've been using my xbox 360 controller with it, I was just wanted to try out the adapter to get the old "feel" to it. It would also be cool to play multiplayer games with my gf seeing as I only have one xbox controller. That and I doubt she would want to play with the xbox controller.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Walmart had an USB adapter over a year ago that allowed a few game controllers (XBox, N64, PSX/PS2, and GC) to USB. Check your local Walmart in the computer area if they still have it.

I'm pretty sure it supported N64.

OP
jaredavidporter

jaredavidporter

I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I remember Fry's selling PS2 usb adapters a few years ago. I always assumed you had to buy the retro adapters online from small manufacturers.

DumpALump

I don't have any particular suggestion, but I did buy a random PS2 controller adapter with dual slots on it for a computer i made for a media center/emulator PC a long time ago. Worked well with all the emulators. Just bought it off ebay for like $12 shipped or so.

fight556

I forget where I bought it exactly, but bought an adapter a few years ago that has an n64 and ps2 port on it, works fine in PJ64, also bought replacements for the n64 analog stick at the same time due to the ones on my controllers being used so much.