• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

return of the cel. 300a=p4 1.6a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Floundering

Just put together my new system 1.6a @ 2.240 256 ddr 266 gforce 3 ti500 love this proc for oc! I tryed to build myself a athlon system but just like last time it was flaky as hell! I had all aproved components from amd and just to unstable. So went back to intel and problems disapear. AMD gets props for achieving what they have w\athlon but i will NEVER spend another dime on amd! For my time and to prevent from pulling all my hair out im sticking w\intel! I also feel intel makes a much better ocing proc! I could go higher but Im not ganna push it im stock fan&voltage so i dont wanna mess with any more! Just wondering what you other ocers think! Plz dont turn this into a amd vs intel flame war! So in conclusion all hail the return of the cel. 300a=p4 1.6a!

Peace all!
Floundering Salmon

batboy

Senior Moment
Hey, that's a great overclock, especially considering you're at default voltage and stock cooling. Ain't these Northwoods grand? This is not the first time I've heard former AMD folks praise Intel for being more stable. I'm convinced it's because of the higher quality Intel motherboard chipsets.

But, I'm very glad AMD is in the fray slugging it out with Intel. The competition is good for both companies and keeps them honest. AMD will eventually get with the program and improve stability and quality. Prices are much more reasonable with strong competition too. It's a win win situation for us consumers.

cboniks

Registered
I totally agree. The intel systems that I have built have been stable as a rock. I have never had all these compatibility problems with my intel boards. I will say though, when you have a Amd board with an Amd chipset , (In my experience) the system is extremely stable. Case in point my Amd Dual board has not had one hiccup since I put it together.

deez

cboniks said:
I totally agree. The intel systems that I have built have been stable as a rock. I have never had all these compatibility problems with my intel boards. I will say though, when you have a Amd board with an Amd chipset , (In my experience) the system is extremely stable. Case in point my Amd Dual board has not had one hiccup since I put it together.

AMD doesn't make chipsets

tainice

they do! amd DOES make their own chipset. for their future hammer series, no other chipset companies, like via, sis, ali, etc will involve..cuz they are "value" chipset makers..so AMD has to develop their own stuff. and 760, 761, and some i-forgot-the-name are all made by AMD..some for their dually. anyway, just trying to pass down the info. cuz i will have to go the "amd" side..for a while, my gal will take over my current board..:eek: :)

tainice

hehehe, i take my words back, intel just ramed my PS back, and it is DA BOMB!! 180fsb straight out of the box @ 1.65v Intel rocks!!

deez

tainice said:
they do! amd DOES make their own chipset. for their future hammer series, no other chipset companies, like via, sis, ali, etc will involve..cuz they are "value" chipset makers..so AMD has to develop their own stuff. and 760, 761, and some i-forgot-the-name are all made by AMD..some for their dually. anyway, just trying to pass down the info. cuz i will have to go the "amd" side..for a while, my gal will take over my current board..:eek: :)

well stick my foot in my mouth...I didn't know they made the chipset for their dual board or any others. I thought everything made now was third party stuff. Every AMD system I've even seen or built has been on a 3rd party chipset and i dont follow the AMD mobo news too closely.

cboniks

Registered
yeah deez the dual boards use the AMD 766 chipset. Extremely stable. It is not the fastest board around though. That may be why you dont hear much about them. the via and sis chipsets perfom better than the amd chipset. I personally wish that AMD would concentrate on their chipset market I think they do a much better job at making chipsets for their on processors.

Cooler666

Disabled
My 1.8A is running at 133FSB now just fine :cool:

In the first week it would only work up to 108FSB
In the second week it would only work up to 117FSB
In the third week it would only work up to 133FSB

Talk about Burn-In :D, I can probably push it up a lot more, I don't even have one case fan :bday: