• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reusing coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

In about 3 weeks I will be returning home from college. This is about a 4-5 hr drive. Just to be safe, I will be emptying the coolant from my system to avoid any leaks during travel.

now the thing is, I used Swiftech Hydrx as my coolant additive. This gives the coolant a nice green color. Well, I ended up using all of the Hydrx mix for this one fill so if I refill the system when i return home with new coolant, I wont have any of the fun green color :)

my loop has only been built and running for about a week and a half now, so by the time i will be considering saving this coolant, it will have only been in use for about a month.

so ultimately (just to make sure I am being clear enough), I want to save my coolant that will have been in use for almost 5 weeks because I want to keep the green color the Hydrx made it (since I do not ahve anymore hydrx for mixing)

Thanks!

Moto7451

Senior Something
There shouldn't be a problem. While you're at it throw some sort of biocide in there if you haven't already ;).

voigts

You just need to make sure whatever you pour it into is CLEAN and without tap water residue.

Of course if I were you I would ditch the HydraX althogether, but that is just me.

Mycobacteria

Hydrex has AF you put it into a thermus or a bottle lable it properly like write in bold letters "DO NOT DRINK"

Better safe than sorry.

And yes for me this would be the oportunity to ditch the hydrex all together...

Last edited:

apintojr

Hydrex has AF you put it into a thermus or a bottle lable it properly like write in bold letters "DO NOT DRINK"

Better safe than sorry.

yea, always safe to label it. i use to keep my fluid in a 1liter water bottle. one drunkin night my buddy almost drank it as he thought it was one of mine mixes. lol so as of that i have my bottle label with skull and crossbones saying poison.

lokitexas

To be honest, I traveled with my case for about a month every weekend...never drained it. If its secure there is no need to worry. Would be a hassle to drain and bleed again.

Also, as others have stated...I would suggest ditching the coolant solution as well. I have used HydraX, Pentosin, FluidXP, and even Thermochill. I have found running pure distilled water + Algae Destroyer as good if not better temp wise. Also, after a month or so any color additives turn your tubes a nasty color and leave a residue. Takes vinigar and plenty of distilled water to clean it out.

Doesnt "look" as cool...but after a month niether does baby blue tubes...or pale lime green ones.

Just my opinion

apintojr

personally i love the hyrdrex stuff. i've been usuing it for a year and it never stained my tubes and my temps are right on point.

OP
P

phil178821

thanks guys.. hyrdx has a biocide.
i thought tygon was very stain resistant. i guess nothing is perfect?

either way.. i have my ptnuke and a ton of Distilled water so i may just go with that.

so why the disdain towards hydrx? is it bad for the system? I just went with it because at the time i needed some sort of biocide, pt-nuke was out of stock and hydrx was the next option i could place with my order at Petra's. (I dont have a car so i cannot get to a pet shop)

it makes the most sense to drain the system because when i get home I will have to removing the tubing from the rad to reroute it through my case (After i drill some holes)

OP
P

phil178821

also, i mixed my hydrx and distilled water in a partially full 1 gallon distilled water container; so if i were to save it, i would just transfer it back in that.

lokitexas

so why the disdain towards hydrx? is it bad for the system? I just went with it because at the time i needed some sort of biocide, pt-nuke was out of stock and hydrx was the next option i could place with my order at Petra's. (I dont have a car so i cannot get to a pet shop)

Not distain really. When I started WCing I tried hydrx first...since it came with some Swiftech products. Then I changed up the loop added another solution that suppose to be "better", then another...etc etc. Finally after getting tired of seeing "flakes" and/or colored copper blocks and tubes, I tried just distilled water for leak testing...and found no diff in temps. For color and cool factor they rock. I just like to let people know they make no diff in temps.

darkcow

Don't even bother draining it. I've driven my rig across town only after leak testing it for 3 hours.

But of course your probably not as daring as I am. If its not leaking now and everything is hand tight then your fine IMO.

Even if it does leak, just let it dry for a day and then power it back on.

Mycobacteria

Momentum inertia is what I worry about. If you have to stop suddenly on the road (who knows with idiots out there) the added weight and stress might snap some of the components even if the PC is straped in with a seat belt.

Im even careful with a non water cooled pc I take the large HSF off and take the GPU out.

Take care our stuff aint cheap and down time without a PC can be a pain.