• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REVIEW: Scythe Infinity - Single fan vs. Dual Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can do this to any heatsink that uses pins to mount it. Heck, the stock pin mounts on this infinity make it perform WORSE than my pressure mounted ac freezer pro (both with the same fan, 7c higher load temps)

enz660 said:
you can do this to any heatsink that uses pins to mount it. Heck, the stock pin mounts on this infinity make it perform WORSE than my pressure mounted ac freezer pro (both with the same fan, 7c higher load temps)

I am just using the clip mounts... Unless that is what you are referring to?

oh whoops....i thought u were talking about the heatsink mount, not the fans :p

edit: still waiting for my bolt through kit...tried two yate loons instead of one vantec stealth, load temps dropped about 3-4c. Still not as good as before..

shard said:
I am just using the clip mounts... Unless that is what you are referring to?

sure, if the ninja will accomodate two fans in the same sort of arrangement ... you would see similar benefits.

dont' know anything about the ninja, but i think it could use two fan's.

also, the same pressure modification for the mounting process will also improve your ninja's peformance.

Ok well I remounted the scythe and the temps did improve. The performance was about 1c better from my old ac freezer 7 pro with the same fan. I got the new backplate and tried to pressure mount it. I probably messd up becuase the temps are now hotter than before. The metal clips like to bend inwards so I will try to use these thermaltake brackets that came with a big typhoon for someone else's pc. If those dont work, I will have to fabricate something else. Im Praying that I can fix this problem and actually UPGRADE cooling performance by at least 5c. Ill give it another whirl after work.

Last edited:
enz660 said:
Ok well I remounted the scythe and the temps did improve. The performance was about 1c better from my old ac freezer 7 pro with the same fan. I got the new backplate and tried to pressure mount it. I probably messd up becuase the temps are now hotter than before. The metal clips like to bend inwards so I will try to use these thermaltake brackets that came with a big typhoon for someone else's pc. If those dont work, I will have to fabricate something else. Im Praying that I can fix this problem and actually UPGRADE cooling performance by at least 5c. Ill give it another whirl after work.

so the time you saw the 1C drop, were you using the stock push/pins? i also noticed that the mounting clips were a bit flimsy; if you figure out a way to do a clean fabrication, let me know.

have you lapped the infinity?

keep at it; at least you broke even on that one install ... and even with a 1 degree drop.

just curious, how do you apply AS5? spread it or tiny dab in center? i've done both and found that the tiny dab in the center works best ... i tend to put too much AS5 on when i spread it.

i've got all my new pressure mount hardware in hand as i showed you but i'm afraid to dismantle everything since it's performing so well ... think i'm going to keep my hacked pressure-mod install until i have to take my board out again for something else. i can tell you one thing, though ... the thing is on *tight* ... i ended up having to use regular nuts as my wing nuts hit the base of the cooler; had to tighten the thing down with a wrench! that's why i bent my motherboard so bad. anyway, when i backed them off, i backed them off until the MB was just ever so slightly bent and then assembled the machine.

i'll be glad to put a backplate on ...

I did lap the heatsink, even though it passed the ketchup test with flying colors. I used the zalman stg-1 thermal paste. I believe the reason the pressure is bad is becuase there is nothing under the brackets, which is why they bend. All the pressure is going into the brackets instead of the cpu.

update: OK! so I got a ton of parts, backplate, metal washers, rubber washers, bolts, nuts, brackets..EVERYTHING. Was a major pain to mod the backplate & mount everything. Temps have improved. they are about 4-5c better. Another thing I saw when I was screwing the heatsink tighter & tighter was the BACKPLATE WAS BENDING!! This steel back plate was not even enough for the pressure I have mounted this thing. I unscrewed it a bit so its not bending so much, but I will see what more pressure would do tomorrow. Right now, its almost 3am, im hungry, tired, and just happy I FINALLY have some improvment. More updates to come...

Last edited:
ok time for a new post. Ive done some mods to the heatsink and I will try every possible way to apply thermal paste. I will use as5 and zalman stg-1. Hopefully one them will come out on top. Will make a massive thread on my modding & testing soon.

enz660 said:
even enough for the pressure I have mounted this thing. I unscrewed it a bit so its not bending so much, but I will see what more pressure would do tomorrow. Right now, its almost 3am, im hungry, tired, and just happy I FINALLY have some improvment. More updates to come...

where there's a will ... there's a way.

i too had to bend things silly in order to get good temps ...

as i told another person earlier and on a different thread ... i can't believe scythe would make such a good cooler but sabotage it with the mounting system ...

(now you see why i'm *not* messing with my ghetto pressure mod: ... it's working *great* ... and i'm not going to take a chance on f'ing it up)

good to see you're getting somewhere, though ...

once i get the nerve to redo my pressure mount, i'll take pictures of my current set up ... with the sawed-off segments of ball point pen cases in place of the springs ... and you'll laugh your *** off!

enz660 said:
I will try every possible way to apply thermal paste

that's good ...

i tried several different approaches and ended up using the rice sized (no more, though) dab approach.

i found that as long as i had lapped both HS and cpu that the tiny dab would spread to the extents of the cpu once applying mounting pressure.

through trial and error, i have found that applying too much thermal compound will seriously degrade performance ... so now, i apply as little as possible while ensuring full coverage of the CPU heatspreader surface; usually, a tiny dab in the center will suffice.

looking forward to your next test results ...

Back