• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review: Thermaltake Spirit RS Memory Coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leojharris

I decided to post to the memory forum as opposed to the cooling since this is such a niche market item; Mods, feel free to relocate if it's your inclination to do so.

I've posted this to other forums but thought it work replicating here at OCForums:

Introduction/Explanations, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm big into keeping my hardware for a long time (at least 2 years) and since I pretty much overclock to the maximum while still being able to use my computer professionally, I decided to invest in these swank looking DDR2 heat pipe memory coolers from Thermaltake.

Initially, I wanted to buy the Thermalright HR-07 coolers but since they weren't available local and since I couldn't run them in 4x1gig configuration, I decided to simply purchase the slightly inferior (if only slightly) Thermaltake Spirit RS coolers.

Thermaltake Spirit RS (heat pipe memory coolers)
Thermaltake website: INFO
My Cost: $15.00 US (per chip)

spirit_1.jpg

Hardware Details

Intel E6400 @ 3.6ghz (450x8)
Mushkin Extreme 1x1gig PC2-6400 (D9GMH) @ 900mhz w/ 2.25 vDIMM
Asus P5B-Deluxe

I decided to simply test a single DDR2 chip as opposed to having to mess with both of my dual channel ram sticks; I think the temps running single or dual should be near identical.

Test Method

To stress the RAM, I ran each of the three below test scenarios under Memtest86 for 30 minutes. I used Memtest86's "Test #5" as others informed me this would generate the most heat.

The three separate test scenarios I carried out are as follows:

1. Tested with bare IC's
2. Tested with stock Mushkin heat spreaders
3. Tested with Thermaltake heat pipe coolers

Also, as stated above, I raised the Mushkin RAM's voltages to 2.25v; the stock maximum volts recommended by Mushkin for this D9 based RAM is 2.1v.

Temps obtained via...

To obtain temperatures off of the IC as opposed to the heat spreader surface, I used an infrared thermometer aimed directly at the memory IC's visible through the gap at the end of the heat spreaders.

FYI, at each end of the heat spreader, be it Mushkin's stock spreader or the Thermaltake coolers, there is a very clear shot at the D9GMH IC's at the very end of the chip. This worked fairly well.

No temperature data was gathered from the heat spreaders themselves, only from the IC's.

spirit_thermometer.jpg

(A tethered sensor sandwiched between the IC's and the heat spreader would have been a technically more correct reading but after reading similar reviews, I think the results will be within a degree or two regardless.)

Test Results

Bare IC: Load = 60C / Idle = 48C

Mushkin stock: Load = 51C / Idle = 40C

Thermaltake: Load = 38C / Idle = 31C

spirit_mounted_1.jpg

In the end, I honestly couldn't believe how well they worked! A serious drop in load and idle temps were seen once the Thermaltake coolers were installed and tested. The stock Mushkin heat spreaders worked okay, but the addition of the heat pipe and fin assembly really put the Thermaltake cooler over the edge.

Something interesting ...

Before actually putting the chip and cooler in the machine, I took a temp reading of just the heat pipe and found that it was about the same as room ambient, 25C (room ambient was 24C).

THEN, while during the stress testing phase, I took another temp reading from the same area of the heat pipe and it read 31C; meaning, of course, that the heat pipe was actually doing it's job of jetting the dispersed heat up and into the fin assembly.

In Conclusion

Regarding temperatures, there are some better coolers out there ... among them of course, the Thermalright HR-07, which actually uses a bit different and more efficient *dual* heat pipe design. The Thermalright HR-07 coolers, however, as far as my online research told me, are designed to be used with only 2 sticks in a dual channel system.

For those wanting to use all four slots on their motherboard, the Thermaltake Spirit RS coolers would be the better option as they have a rather thin profile and as well the heat pipe can be rotated to all sorts of angles.

To be honest, I wanted to get the HR-07's first but could not find them local ... so, impulsiveness winning me over, I decided to go with the Thermaltake Spirits as a immediate gratification compromise. After testing, I can say I'm not too concerned now as to their function ... and besides, I sort of dig the black on copper look:

spirit_mounted_system_2.jpg

:beer:

(this review bROUGHT to yOU by iNSOMNIA!)

Fr3@k3r said:
Can 4 sticks be used with these?

and is there a way we can get a side by side with the HR-07 test done? lol

Yes ... 4 slot compatibility is why I bought them; I'm not running with 4 sticks now ... but eventually I will be.

The fact that you can rotate the heatpipe's makes it even more configurable.

Re: the HR-07 ...

My opinion is that the HR-07 is a superior cooling design ... albeit ... you can't run 4 sticks with them.

There have been some reviews however, which cite concern regarding the HR-07's mounting pressure ...

One reviewer indicated that the heatspreader on the HR-07 did not make very good contact with the IC's ...

In fact, after viewing some of the HR-07 reviews which discussed the mounting problem ... a user at Xtreme systems requested that I photograph the mounting of the Thermaltakes showing how well the heatspeaders contacted the IC's ...

Here's the photos:

IC_1.jpg

IC_2.jpg

IC_3.jpg

But regardless ... the vast majority of HR-07 reviews online have proven that they are hands down, the best memory coolers on the market.

I'd place the Thermaltake Spirit RS at about a 4 to 6 degree disadvantage ...

Just can't compete with the HR-07's dual heatpipes ...

But, since the Thermaltakes *do* perform very well ... and since you can run them in a 4 slot scenario ... I'm pleased with the compromise.

gosh i cant believe ima gonna say this about a thermaltake product :eek: ... but thoes are actually really cool! figurativly and literally..

Yes the HR-07's cool better but they are HUGE! i like these how you can turn them to get outta the way... i may look into thoes as my gskills @ 2.0v get a lil warm as i almost always run with fans on low and @ low there isnt much airflow through the case.

nd4spdbh2 said:
gosh i cant believe ima gonna say this about a thermaltake product

I know, right?

These work very well ... tested them myself as the above text should confirm.

Also ... in defense of Thermaltake ... their new TMG ND1 VGA cooler is seriously good ...

Gonna replace my beloved iceberq 6 with one of those very soon and will post some numbers when I do ...

Fr3@k3r said:
so what kind of material do they use for attaching the heatsink to the memory? Thermal pads? Paste?

For the heatspreaders, thermal tape ... thick or thin depending on whether you have single or double sided IC's ...

For the heatpipe ... thermal compound ...

I used some Vantec non-conductive that I had laying around ... didn't want to mess with AS5 as it's not good to have around electrical stuff ...

Fr3@k3r said:
you know about height clearence in SFF cases?

That I do not know ... but since you can rotate the heatpipe 180+ degrees ... it seems like you'd have some room to configure ...

The difference between bare and heatspreader is most noteworthy to me. I'd always considered stock heatspreaders to be fairly useless marketing 'bling'

Peepaw said:
Me too but they look purdy.:D

Well ... the stock spreaders *did* cut the temps a bit ...

Nowhere near what the Thermaltake's do ... but still ... a 8 degree drop over bare IC's is still something I'd rather have than not ...

Did you try runing fan blowing directly on a memory with heatspreadors and then take temps measurments?

meionm said:
Did you try runing fan blowing directly on a memory with heatspreadors and then take temps measurments?

No ... since I'm primarily interested in passive use; but hang a 120mm fan over them, even a very low RPM one ... and you can easily take another 3 to 6 degrees off ...

Back