• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revision 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

So, from what I here it supports on-diode reading and 1/5 divider at 166 FSB for PCI slots? Any confirm this?

Oh yea, 7VRXP btw. :)

comptech69

Registered
Yes I can confirm!

The REV2.0 supports the on chip diode to be read. In other words this board features COP. If you try to power on with no HSF then it will turn off in 3-4 seconds.

The VRX/VRXP with the KT333CE chipset will feature the 1/5 divider. In REV 1.1 is when they switched from CD to CE. The 1/5 divider is proven to exist on these boards but it is a feature that gigabyte must enable in their bios. Also the VRXP REV2.0 will support the 2700+ 333FSB processors according to the email I recieved and it is listed on AMD's site.

I would try to hold on to your 1.1 as along as possibe because with the nforce2 boards coming up soon, it may be worth the wait.

OP
masitti

masitti

Ok, awesome - I just don't think that it's fair to get ripped off with no 1/5 divider - you'd think it's a no brainer to include one. :eh?: ;)

Hood

masitti
The 1/5 divider kicks in automatically with BIOS F11, but you have to go thru a routine for it to work. The first thing to make sure is that you have the memory set to Normal(Fast and Ultra dont work). Second is to set the memory to 266, this actually means set to 2x FSB, wheras 333 means 2x (fsb+pci). Then you have to set the FSB TO 148-154(148 for me), save, exit and re enter and set to 166 or more. The only drawback is that if you shutdown you will have to go thru this process again, the only solution I have found is not to shutdown but just go into Standby. I hope this is sorted with the next BIOS Rev. I have heard that people with GF4's have probs getting the 1/5 to work but cant confirm this(only have a GF2), but as you have a GF3 you should be OK.
Hood

OP
masitti

masitti

Hood, I will try that today. Luckily (or not, not sure yet ;)) I don't have a GF4, so I hope this works. :)

Hood

masitti
If your 1600 is still locked I wouldnt try to go for any more than 166 until you have it up and running. You might even have to up the VCore to 5% to run at 166 stable, I had to do that with a 1600 but it was only a AGOIA 4. I have a 2100 (AGOIA Y)unlocked and manage [email protected] without upping the VCORE.
Good luck and be sure to post results.
Hood

OP
masitti

masitti

Ok... here's my status:

I followed the suggestions, it shows up as a XP 2100 (w00t!), and right when the Windows chime stops, it reboots. :mad:

So, I up the Vcore 5%: same thing. I up it to 10%, I can now run around in Windows. Right when I started [email protected] it rebooted.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

Hood

masitti
OK you could try setting all the memory timings to least aggressive (2.5/3/3/7/2T) Also try upping the DDR to 2.6v/2.7v. If you have no joy you might have to unlock the CPU and try 10x multi. What are your temps when running at 10% VCore?. Also what size/brand PSU do u have?
Hood

Last edited:
OP
masitti

masitti

I'll try the memory settings. Temps are at 40c mobo, ~44c CPU.

When I upped the memory voltage, I was able to fold, however programs started to give me memory errors.

I have a 300w Antec PSU.

Hood

masitti
Antec is a good brand and 300W should be enough so that is possibly not the prob, although I would say that is probably about the min for a PSU. You are looking for a combined 3.3/5v rail output of 180W min which I am sure the antec has, if you had a GF4 it would probably be a problem.
These temps are at 10% VCore? if so what is your cooling, I would presume you must have watercooling. Anyway temps are fine and not the prob.
I would say that the timings are most probably the problem but if not the next step would be to unlock the CPU.
Hood
EDIT
Just noticed you have pc2100 memory, that is most likely the prob. Effectivly you are O/Cing to PC2700 speeds and the only way will be to set to the min timings. If you have more than one stick I would suggest that you remove them and only use one until you get it stable. Then you may be able to add the others, I would suggest that you put them in slot one and three if you get to this stage.

OP
masitti

masitti

Yes, I am watercooled. I will try to cut down the timings on the memory... I just wanna run it at 166 FSB to feel like I am getting something out of it.

Also, where do I adjust to the memory settings to set them to the least aggresive?

Hood

masitti
If you press Del and get into the BIOS then press Ctrl+F1 then go to chipset features you will see the extra timings. You will have to set SPD to disabled so that you can then alter all the timings. I would suggest that you set to Normal, 266, 2.5,3,7, 3 and 2T.(I think thats the order they are in the BIOS) but anyway just set to the Highest you can.
Hood

OP
masitti

masitti

Awesome, thanks a lot Hood, I'll try that. Also, welcome to Overclockers! Great community here. :)

*EDIT*

Ok, I am now able to roam around Windows at 1.72 Vcore! I am gonna run some tests, like Folding and such - if I have any instabilities, I'll post and see if I can up the Vcore a little bit. Thanks again man!

Last edited:

Hood

No probs and have fun, and thanks for the welcome.
Hood
BTW what is this folding you keep talking about. the only folding I do is to the bills I send out to my customers LOL
Its ok just done a search and found out what its all about.

Last edited:
OP
masitti

masitti

Ok, it froze up on me right after I posted... go figure. I restarted into it, it didn't even boot into Windows. :(

The thing I don't understand is if it would really be using the 1/5 divider, doesn't RAM and PCI cards go back to the standard 33 MHz? So then you'd think my RAM would work find. :confused:

Folding is a program which uses your idle CPU cycles and folds proteins - the ultimate goal is to find cures for cancer diseases. Go to http://www.folding.octeams.com/ for more info. ;)

Hood

masitti
Thanks for the Folding info, it reminded me about the United Devices prog I ran on the last mobo. I am in the process of downloading the UD Agent and will start running it again.
Anway onto your prob. What the 1/5 divider does is set the PCI and AGP to the right frequency for the 166FSB, ie 33 and 66. However your prob is that you have DDR266 memory and setting the FSB to 166 will set your DDR to 333. This is because the 266 setting in the BIOS actually means set at 2x FSB and the 333 setting is 2x (FSB+PCI). So therefore if you have a FSB of 172 and you have it set to 2xFSB(266 setting) you will get your DDR running at 344MHz if you set it to 333 what you will get is 2x(172+33) which equals 410MHz. I hope you can follow what I am saying but basically Gigabyte tried to make it simpler by saying 266 and 333 but really what they should have said is FSB and FSB+PCI.
Hood

Last edited:
OP
masitti

masitti

They were set to the highest... still no go. If I push the voltage of the mem to 2.8, all my proggies start to have memory errors.

I will try with my Crucial stick in only (256).

Hood

masitti

Hopefully it will work but if it doesnt I think you will have to just settle for lower FSB or try and get some DDR333 or 400.
BTW I have just had a look at my last post and the 333 setting should have been 2x(172+34.4)=413. It was late here when I wrote that and forgot that the PCI at 172 would be 172/5 =34.4 and not 33. Anyway hope you understood why the 1/5 divider would not alter the fact that the memory would still be getting greatly O/Ced if you just have DDR266 and have it set as 266(2XFSB) in the BIOS.
Hood

OP
masitti

masitti

Yea, no go with the Crucial... I'll just have to save up some moola and hopefully get like 1 512 stick of some DDR400.

Hood

Not got a STUPID mate that you could tell that your memory would be better for him and that his DDR400 would be better off in your mobo.LOL
Hood
EDIT
WOW I GOT A STAR:D