• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revision 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ohh... that's not a revision 2 then. :p

I was wondering, cuz I really wanna get a diode reader... but I think I am gonna hold out for the EpoX nForce2. :)

at least i don't think my little antec 300watt psu could handle seriously o/c'ing the power hungry cpu's... 1700+ what do you guys think i could o/c too, i have water cooling by the way and out of speculation... say i had a really good psu and corsair pc3500?

BomberBear
You would be better running a lower multiplier and higher FSB because you would then get the 1/5 kicking in and so your PCI/AGP would be back in spec. You will need to set the BIOS to Normal, 266, and first try the least aggressive of the rest of the memory timings. BTW when set to 266 it actually means 2x FSB so if the FSB is 166 you are still getting 333, if you have it at 333 in bios you will get 2x(FSB+PCI)= 2x (166+33)=400.
As far as unlocking the 2100 you have to join the L1 bridges as is normal with the Palomino and then join two pins on the underside, You will see which pins to join in this link. Notice they used wire but I just used the conductive paint(thought it less fiddly) Also although it says its for a T/Bred it works ok with the 2100 Palomino.
Hood

Punkmasterflick
To O/C this mobo and stand half a chance you need PC2700 and probably a better PSU. Antec is a good brand but with a GF4 Ti and an XP CPU you will need a combined 3.3/5v output of 180W minimum but better to have 220W or more on the combined rail. I think the TRUE POWER series from Antec have separate rails so the combined output would not be an issue. As far as what to expect with O/Cing, with water cooling you should get well past 2200 speeds if the stepping is even half decent. I am on air and get to 10.5x 178FSB 1870MHz rock solid. When I get the Vapochill I hope to be able to up the multiplier to maybe even 11.5x.
Hood

BomberBear

I have a Zalman Flower at the moment and have it at full speed (still quiet though) I am running at 10.5x 178FSB with 10% VCore and it is the VCore increase that is increasing my temps. If I run at normal VCore with 10.5x178 I get temps of 36 on high speed and 44 on low, but it is not stable until I have the VCore at 10% with this OC.
Hood

Thanks for the pic on unlocking. I have my system running at 147 fsb and cant go any higher without losing stability. The chip is locked and do you think the chip or my 2x256mb sticks of Crucial PC2700 is holding it back? that overclock makes the memory run at 360. I am running a ti4200 in the AGP and only a SB Live! in the PCI slot.
I promise I won't be a Noob forever!

BomberBear
I think it is the CPU that will be the problem. If you unlock you should be able to get about 10.5x180 FSB, this is just a rough estimate from what you get just now.
BTW if its a Rev1.1 mobo you have try using F6 Bios and you wont have the routine to go thru, all you will have to do is set to 166 or more.
Hood

I've been able to run my PC2100 Crucial over 150 FSB... you should easily be able to get there. :eek:

it's a rev. 1.1 that has the AGP fixed. What options will I lose going down to F6.
Also, that's a lower CPU speed than what I'm able to run now. Is the performance across everything? Better performance?
I have also attached a pic of my cpu. How is the stepping on it?

That's an awesome stepping.. the AGOIA's are good... and the Y 0213's are even better. :D

BomberBear
Yep stepping is GOOD:cool:
BTW you are right about the speed, you will probably be able to run 10.5x 182 or 11x 174. Anyway if you get that speed now you will get the same but with CPU and DDR running synchronous which will be much better.
Hood

BomberBear
Oh and think the only issue you may have by going to F6 is that the CPU will be reported on POST in MHz rather than XP2200+ etc. If you had the real Rev2.0 you would then get incorrect CPU temp readings and lose the C.O.P., but since its a repaired 1.1 you dont have them anyway.
Hood

oh thats cool. So if I was to unlock you say the cpu and drr will run in synchronous. I'm not exactly sure what that means or what bios settings I would need to change for the memory but it will lead to more stability or performance?

BomberBear
It would lead to more performance and also if you are stable at your present FSB you should be just as stable because the 1/5 divider would kick in and keep the PCI and AGP at the speed you have them now. The settings you will definately have to use are Normal and 266, the rest you will just have to see for yourself, but if you set to least aggressive then try increasing one at a time you will soon find your optimum.
Synchronous means that the speed of the buss's will be the same for the CPU and the DDR there fore no bottleneck, ie if the FSB is set to 182 your CPU will be 2x182=364 and your DDR will be exactly the same. At the moment you have CPU 2X147=294 and DDR is 2x(FSB+PCI)= 2x(147+36)=366 so you can see that there is a bottleneck with the CPU.
Hope you understand, but if you have any further questions just ask, I will do my best to answer.
Hood

I understand now. Thank you very much for your help Hood and I will let you know when I venture into the unlocking. It will happen eventually, and now I understand why I would be doing it thanks to you.
Bomber

ok I must be tired. I just read all the posts in this thread and I understand that rev1.1 and rev2.0 can get the 1/5 divider, but the rev 1.0 CAN'T get it no matter what? IS that correct? How do you tell what rev of board you have. I am fairly certain I have rev 1.0 :-( But I have no way of knowing for sure??

Back